Choice

A/N: I'm on a mid-term break. So I thought I could squeeze one update in this fiction. Okay, let me have a few pointers. 

1. Remember Vermouth's visit at around Chapter 16 where she tells Ai to test Conan with the antidote?

2. Remember when Ai gave him an antidote when they danced? 

Those two occurrences are important in this chapter. I foreshadowed them, but I did not expect it to be this long. 

It has been a while, so here's a quick summary of past events: 

After the destruction of the organisation and Ran's marriage to Araide, Conan decided to stay as he is and attempted to move on. Yet, a seemingly locked-room murder case with a peculiar chessboard held connections with the Black Organisation than they could have predicted. In order to rat out the Black Organisation member, Conan and the FBI teamed up with Kaito Kid. It was revealed that the Black Organisation was indeed reforming, with a terrifying new Boss. Known for cruelly experimenting on children in an established school, the new mysterious Boss retaliated with a series of traps, causing deaths, including Genta's. As the rest attempted to survive the battle and games that the syndicate pulls on them, Conan spiralled into despair for his failures. Not knowing that the Boss was after him in the first place, revealing his identity that left Conan stunned. The Kiss of Death, the cold betrayal... Conan could only comply, being led to the heart of the syndicate's hideout, where he met face-to-face with Gin and discovered the truth about Ai's terrifying past. 

To make matters complicated, his emotions and situation with Ai were like the rhythm of an anxiety-filled heartbeat. Conan, being confused, had difficulties deciphering his real feelings towards Ai. Was it due to the fear of rejection or unwillingness to accept what his second life offered him? As for Ai, being stubborn and pessimistic had not been entirely honest with him and pushes him away. 

On top of all this, there were still so many mysteries left to unfold: Why did the Boss want him captured? What were his origins? How would Jodie cope with her ordeal, after the assault from Gin? How would Conan cope with himself being imprisoned? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geez," Williamine sighed, "Gin's taking his own sweet time. If he wanted to get rid of her, he could have been done with it by now. What's taking him so long?"

"Go and get him," Vermouth instructed, and the boy left.

"What's up with that kid? He doesn't seem to like Gin or any of us even though Gin was the one who picked him up," Chianti pouted, clearly annoyed.

Vermouth chuckled and teased, "except for me of course."

"Disgusting-"

"No, you just need to treat him in a more motherly way," Vermouth explained, "if you didn't know, that boy was the son of a very violent and deranged man who was a criminal. Gin was tasked to gun down the boy's dad. But when he came to the apartment, the boy had already murdered his own father."

"For what?"

"Apparently, the boy's father had been abusing his mother, who used to be a prostitute. He had also been known to hit the boy whenever it was convenient. He ended up manslaughtering her one day and still ruined her corpse. Williamine witnessed the whole thing. And in revenge and defence, he immediately killed him. Gin stumbled upon the scene just moments after it had transpired and he took a liking to the silver-haired boy that could kill," Vermouth added.

"Come to think of it... Gin has silver hair too," Chianti mumbled.

"Probably he was biased. But the main point is... Williamine, whatever his name was before that, he may already know how to kill, but deep down, he's still a child who misses his mother. So if you want to handle a child, be a mother," Vermouth teased, "or maybe it's too difficult for you since you've lost yours."