Family

A/N: This is going to be a short chapter but I had to break it up as the transition will not be as great. Anyways, I had created a trailer of this fanfiction and uploaded it on Youtube. It's called "Kiss of Death Trailer (Detective Conan Fanfiction; Conan X Ai)" under my username.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mrs Hattori Kazuha, are you there?" the voice from the hospital line called out. Heiji's wife stood rooted, shaken up by the news. Heiji suffered multiple cuts due to the car accident and has been unconscious since. Meanwhile, Inspector Megure was in a critical condition and had been rushed to the hospital in order to perform a life-and-death operation on him. The possibility of Megure dying hung like a choker of rope waiting to execute him. Kazuha herself collapsed on the floor, in an attempt to digest all the occurrences.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conan stood dumbfounded at the catastrophe. Phoebe's head was punctured by a bullet, receiving an instant death. Her blood was splattered in the direction the bullet travelled, the angry red paint staining the side-road.

Probably they didn't want her to talk -Conan concluded.

He stood grimly at the other body, its head was charred along with the sack that covered it. The forensics compared the data by using fingerprint that was recorded in the Moriarty Academy database, confirming that Cedric was the deceased one.

Just when I thought we could be friends... For the sake of a "thrill" of being a fellow detective... For the sake of solving a case... This was the cost of it. Detectives are supposed to be prepared to throw our lives in the quest of solving the world's mysteries. Detectives are indeed foolish men, aren't they? One day, I might end up like this.

First Conan got a call from the hospital about Megure and Heiji's accident. To add salt to the injury, their major witnesses, Amora and Phoebe, were dead. Next was Cedric, which had to make matters worse. The boy's head had been burnt into an unrecognisable identity -it seems like Conan's allies were dropping like flies. To detectives, they were supposed to be immune to deaths, as they were the ones who are supposed to solve cases. Yet, Conan was not prepared to actually see his friends dying -he had been far too optimistic and impulsive on his part. The guilt banged on his ribcage, feeling powerless over the inability to protect them.

This was uncalled for -he tried to reassure himself, but it felt wrong to try and soothe it. An error was still an error, the inability to foresee the organisation striking back was a sign of incompetency.

Then, the bespectacled boy left, without inspecting the crime scene.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conan re-thought the whole duties assigned.

Jodie and Agasa are keeping Ai safe.

Hidemi Hondou is overlooking Ran and her children.

Eisuke Hondou is monitoring Tyler, who was still comatosed. Araide Tomoaki is accompanying Tyler, should there be any unexpected circumstance.

Rei and his forces are overlooking the situation, especially when Heiji and Megure are down. They are also investigating the scenes of the two similar car accidents that drove Cedric, Phoebe and Amora to death.

James Black and the other FBI agents are working on finding the Black Organisation's hideout. What's more, the truth about the Moriarty Academy harbouring trainees to be like perfect syndicate members makes the situation worse.