Hair-pin

It was short, but felt like eternity.

Haibara immediately pushed away, stumbling backwards, with her face flushed with humiliation. Conan stared at her wide-eyed, waiting for her next reaction. His heart was now banging against his ribs so hard that it felt like he was going to get a cardiac arrest, while his mind was in a hurl of hurricane, trying to process what had just occurred. Everyone had their feet rooted to the ground, horrified at the scene like they've just witness murder. The smacking of their lips was still ringing in their ears, it was audible enough for the rest of the students nearby to crane their necks.

Shit! I did not expect that. Now the rumours about Haibara and I will be reignited once more. But screw what the rest think, I'm more afraid of Haibara's thoughts.

Ai scanned her surroundings, feeling intimidated by the stares she was receiving. They seem to poke her skin like a thousand knives, she screamed internally, wanting to bury her head in a lump of soil. She shut her eyelids the moment her and Ayumi's met. Whether it was horrifying shock or a pleasant surprise, she couldn't tell. Opening her eyes once more, she caught Phoebe smirking maliciously at her from her peripheral vision.

This ain't good. I'm not sure if Ayumi or Ran will accept this!

She shifted her attention to Conan. He was looking at her intensely with his cerulean blue irises, they were shining with mixed emotion. Ai couldn't help but to be intoxicated by him, it's like she could see the ocean in his eyes. She noticed that he was noticeably flushed as well, unusually red around his nose and cheeks. Then, with one blink, the waves of his oceanic eyes seemed to change in ambience, replacing with the usual tensed gaze. At this, Ai knew that he was trying to read her like a scanner. She panicked. For one thing, she disliked being psycho-analyzed. Even if she knew how dense he was in figuring the hearts of women, he was a detective nonetheless, capable of looking into the minds of wicked culprits. Fearing that it would be evident that she would be affected by the kiss, she kept a still face, rubbing her lips with the back of her hand. The persistent pounding in Conan's chest halted abruptly, feeling it rise to his throat. He felt uneasy.

I don't understand...We've kissed before, it may be an accident, but why did Haibara have to erase it away?

She walked past him, with her cold emotionless expression still plastered on her, walking off as if he was dust. He felt strangely pained, extending out his arm to call her, but her name didn't articulate in his voice. He felt mute, helpless. Ayumi called out to Ai, but it fell on deaf ears. She was about to call her again when Conan gave a gesture, silencing her. He lowered his arm and head, concealing his face with the round spectacles of his. He was visibly upset.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the day was boring as usual, with the students of Moriarty Academy separated from Teitan middle schoolers. They were taken to a Japanese museum by bus, while the locals were back in their usual class lessons. Silence filled the atmosphere between the two shrunken adults. Conan glanced up the wall clock every 30 seconds, waiting for the day to end. He felt the room temperature rising as tension continues between her and the girl next to him.

We're seated next to each other and yet we're so far apart... What am I thinking? Haibara's just being "Haibara". Forget it. I can't wait for school to end so that I can discuss the case up with Hattori.

Soon enough, the irritating sound of the bell went off, but was like a melody to his ears. Conan sped off the moment their teacher dismissed them. He hurriedly shoved his books in his locker and took off his school shoes. As he switched to his outdoor ones, a shadow crept upon him. He was intimidated by Ai's presence, but waited for her to speak up. Placing her books inside her own locker, she said softly, almost monotonous, "before you go off investigating a case, just know that you need to meet up with Tyler after their trip because all exchange buddies have to accommodate for hospitality. In other words, we'll have to make him our guest to stay at Hakase's place. I'll do the cooking while you handle the rest."