Prologue

"Yo Ran, long time no see," Shinichi greeted coolly. How long has it been since they had last seen each other? He then stared out of the window glass. They were at a luxurious hotel that Ran used to dream of having a date with him. Shinichi made no hesitance of reserving a place for them there.

Shinichi could barely see the details of the bustling streets from a bird's eye view, with only the sparking lights in exception that competed with the stars. Despite all that, he could feel Ran fidgeting and twirling the hem of the royal purple tablecloth. She had an aching need to speak up. Her eyes kept shifting to her hands and his face, confused whether she still have lingering feelings for him. Shinichi was aware of that she was seeing someone else, through his investigations but too dense to see the transparency of her heart. He assumed that she no longer cared for him.

But he was so wrong.

"Shinichi, it's a beautiful night, isn't it?"

"Hmm...?" he turned towards her, pretending to be clueless. He was aware that she wanted to speak with him regarding the sapphire ring that nests on one of her fingers. The dark blue gem glinted, reflecting the light from the candles on the table, as if it was a baby crying for Shinichi's attention. He glared at it.

This is the time. My boyfriend have proposed to me yesterday, I have yet to say yes. This is the last chance. Before I say yes, I still want to confirm if Shinichi has any feelings for me.

"Shinichi..." she muttered, having her gaze locked at him intensely. She fought back to not let herself break down again.

"Ran, what is it?"

Say something, Ran. I know, you're going to tell me about your engagement.

"Well..." Ran stuttered, finding the little courage she had, "I'll be engaged. But there is one question I was always wondering."

"Okay, go on," he nodded. He noticed that she was biting her lower lip, unable to blurt the words she had rehearsed long and hard.

"It's been 3 years since you've been gone. Lots of things have changed, but we're still childhood friends, aren't we?" she spoke slowly, rigidly. Like she had memorized a script for a play. From then, Shinichi knew that she had carefully devised the conversation. So he played along. He nodded.

"I just wanted to ask. Tell me honestly. Do you lo-"

RING...RING!

She was interrupted by Shinichi's phone. The phone displayed Agasa's name.

"Sorry."

He declined the incoming call and set his phone into silent mode. He shifted his attention to her again. "You were saying?" he asked sincerely.

"I just want an honest answer. Shinichi," she fidgeted with her skirt, unable to meet his eyes, her hands were sweating.

"Shinichi... I'll hold off the engagement if you give me the answer I'm expecting. Do you still lo-"

BRRR...BRRR!

His phone vibrated against the table. That's right, he still set the phone in vibration even if it was on silent mode. Annoyed, he raised his finger to decline Agasa's call until Ran grabbed his wrist. "Wait, Shinichi. If Hakase called the second time, it must be urgent. Just pick it up," she suggested. He did as he was told.

"Hakase," he started, but his eyes became petrified, "what?! Where is she?"

Ran jumped a little, startled by his sudden change of reaction. She barely has seen Shinichi in such an agitated state.