Deadly Nightshade

(The day before)

"I am begging you, please include me. I didn't mean to eavesdrop on your conversation. But I would want to protect everyone," Cedric said, bowing slightly to the bespectacled detective. Yet, Conan stared at him coldly, adamant in his rejection of including a mere 15-year-old student.

Shaking his head, he stated, "I'm sorry, but I'd have to say no to this even if you would kneel. It's too dangerous, this might be ironic for me to say, but... You're only 15. I don't wish to risk your life for this." The golden boy said nothing but looked over to the bookshelves.

He took out a small chessboard and looked back at the detective, he explained, "I'm sure you're familiar with the Hounds of Baskervilles. There's this line: 'The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.' - as a fan of Holmes, you should know this." He tossed the black-and-white squared chessboard on the table.

He continued, "I never really knew what this meant. Countless of books and crime documentaries I've read, and only when that blonde-haired woman you call "Belmot" threatened me with gun, that I realised what has been before me," he opened the chessboard and revealed a few pieces, "life has always been a war. No matter how much we deny it, there's a hierarchy in all life forms. In wildlife, it is known as Darwin's theory of evolution- if you'd like. The ones with the most favourable traits will survive while the weak ones die out. While humans are known to exist without a natural predator and are top of the food pyramid, it's still undeniable that there is a power struggle."

The golden boy held up a pawn chess piece, "there are people who are unfortunately born with circumstances- be it poverty or disability, they would need to have the laborious trip to the edge of the board to get promoted to a chess piece of a higher value. That is, if they can survive," he paused for a moment, having to arrange all the chess pieces into their respective starting points, "would you mind if you will begin first?"

The boy with faint golden hair sat down with a solemn face. Conan made no objections and moved the pawn to E4. Observing it, Cedric manoeuvred his pawn to D6. He rambled on, while Conan set out his next move, "on the other hand, there are the Kings - they only move one square per turn and yet, its life is essential as losing it would mean the game. That's a cruel system we'll have to accept, don't you think? Someone has to be of a lower class to sweep the streets to keep the road clean."

White pawn to D4.

Black knight to F6.

White knight to E3.

Black pawn to G6.

The detective stared at the chess piece for a moment, the Black knight was threatening one of the white pawns. Conan decided to move the white bishop to E3 to prevent this. After that, he spoke, "and so? I would have to admit that I've underestimated your maturity, but that is not a ticket to risk your life."

The blond boy mirrored his movements and the black bishop was now in G7. He replied, "it's not a risk if we take calculated precautions. Besides, only a fool will risk something without calculating it. We're both small 15-year-old boys, but physical appearance is a mere deception. Child geniuses do exist in this world. Has anyone actually told you what convinced Jim Cisson that Violette's case was a murder? It was me. I met in America, and he flew here. He didn't believe me though, because of my age. He mentioned going to a famous Japanese detective from Osaka to solve it and confirm that it was indeed a murder -oh? You've moved your queen to D2 so quickly? I'll just place the pawn to C6. I won't let you prepare a king's side of attack so quickly!"

They played chess for 15 minutes.

"So, what do you think of my suggestion?" Cedric asked him.

Conan halted for a moment. He was getting driven to the corner here. No comrades left, just his King piece. His sweat droplets were visible on his forehead. "It's fine, but what bothers me is... Tyler said you were transferred, but the question is, where were you before that?" He reluctantly made the only option he could think of.