Red Thread

A/N: I've added the youtube video of "Crime & Punishment" (a FMA soundtrack), that Conan will play in the violin later.

-----------------------------------------------

The shower heater has been switched on for a while now.

I think the shower should be warm.

Ai stepped into the bathtub, gripping onto the knob and turning on the shower. The sensation of the water droplets drenching her strawberry blonde hair was indeed rejuvenating, even to the point of giving the bathroom an epithet of "location of Shiho's philosophical soliloquies". Indeed, the nightmare she had on the previous night gave a lasting impression on her. It was so vivid, so surreal - she felt herself choking in her breath when she saw the horrifying sight. Truly, the angel of death was no stranger to her, even got acquainted with him. Death surrounded her, whether it was her loved ones or not.

After showering, she dried herself and donned the crimson dress she's been keeping for months. But-

Oh shit-

It totally slipped from her mind. To be securely wearing the dress, she had to tie the ribbons at the back, just like a shoelace in a shoe. Ayumi was supposed to help her with it, but due to the circumstances, she couldn't come over Agasa's house. Surely, Ai can tie it for herself -to a certain extent that is, but will be infeasible to tie the whole dress tightly all by herself. Gingerly, she opened the door. Conan was outside, waiting for her without any notice. Since last night, he was being watchful towards her, eyeing her like a hawk.

He was clad in his usual blue tux and the voice-changing red bowtie. She remembered when he used to wear a similar outfit when they were much younger, even in school, such that the rest thought he was being strange. Yet, as strange as it was, there were stranger functions that outfit can do. Agasa's inventions- the voice-changing bowtie, the tranquillizer watch, the elastic bands, the inflatable soccer ball in the belt, the multi-purpose visual spectacles- no one would've thought Conan had them.

"Kudo-kun," she started, "is Jodie or Hidemi around?"

"Nope, they went on their respective orders, why?" he questioned.

"No, it's just- nothing," her voice faltered.

"Really?"

"I just needed help with something. But now, it doesn't really matter," she said as she was about to shut the door.

"No wait," he said so suddenly, ceasing the door to be closed, "maybe I could help instead?"

"It's not really appropriate-"

He frowned. "Please?"

Sighing in defeat, she opened the door, ushering him in, "alright."

"So, what do you need help in?" he asked, clueless.

"Well, you see-" she hesitated, grasping onto her dress by the front. She could feel his observant eyes on her, intimidating her.

Meanwhile, Conan took the leisure time to digest the sight before him, taking note of how the dress hugged her physique. He was stunned at how she has matured over the years. The crimson colour complemented her natural reddish-brown hair and made her skin somewhat even fairer. There was this unexplained glow coming from her, like an angel of chaotic temptation has appeared before him. At that moment, he had to admit, she was breathtakingly stunning.

Damn, I haven't noticed it before, but I guess we really grew up. I can't believe I'm thinking of this... She looks really good. Why didn't I noticed this before? I've seen her daily, but not this way-