Fear

"Are you kidding? Cisson's dead?" Conan gasped in disbelief, his eyes squinting.

Damn it! We didn't even get to touch the chessboard!

"Dead?" Genta's head popped out of the door like a worm out of its hole.

"Is it a murder case?!" Mitsuhiko exclaimed.

"Haibara! Make sure you keep an eye on them! Hattori! Let's go!"

"Oi, Ku-Conan! You can't drive!"

Conan had no time to answer. As obsessed with his detective cases as always, he sped off towards the car that Heiji rented for his Tokyo trip. After him was Heiji.

"-Wait! Heiji! Conan..." Ran's voice trailed off, knowing that it would be futile as she witnessed the two detectives dashing out of her house. Shaking her head, she turned to the rest of the Detective Boys, well, former. "They never change, did they?" she asked sweetly, while the rest nodded.

"What about you guys? Don't you all like detective work anymore?" she asked once again, trying to strike up a conversation with the mid-teens. Ayumi looked away in humiliation, while Genta could only sheepishly grin. Ran gave a knowing smile, understanding that they might have outgrown in that detective eagerness and had other interests.

Genta chuckled embarrassingly, a little hesitant in replying to the older woman, "well... You see... I wasn't good at solving much of the cases. It was always Conan, so I got tired of it. I took up baking and grew fond of it because it really seemed to work out for me."

"As for my case, I got interested in dance and I'm hooked on it. Before I knew it, it's been like 5 years since I got involved in investigating a case, I think I've lost interest in it," Ayumi added, her tone as cheerful as ever.

"Is that why you lost interest in Conan?" Genta teased, while Ayumi punched his arm playfully.

"Before, I had this huge crush on Conan. It was until middle school that I grew out of that infatuation because Conan's so clueless about romance. He was like a detective geek but a really good looking one. Besides, he was much closer to Ai-chan. So I never really stood a chance either," Ayumi quickly explained to Ran, fearing that she may have misunderstood Genta's words.

Ran laughed, always getting excited when it comes to the topic of teenage love, which somehow reminds her of her youthful days. "Well, I used to be like you, Ayumi-chan! I had a major crush on my childhood friend. He was also engrossed with detective work and was so dense. But don't worry Ayumi, you'll find someone who suits you."

"So neechan," Genta chirped happily, with hope sparkling in his eyes, "does that mean bakers are better boyfriends than detectives?"

Ran thought for a moment. What was she going to advise the teenagers? Ran replied reluctantly, "I wouldn't say that...Just treat your date well like how you want to be treated. Different people will show it differently. Since you like baking, why don't you bake sweet treats for the girl you like?"

"That's a good idea!"

"And what about you, Ai-chan do you like-"

Ran halted in her mid-sentence, noticing that the strawberry blonde was nowhere to be found.

As well as Mitsuhiko.

------------------------------------------------

"So Hattori? What was the cause of death?" the bespectacled boy questioned in a dead-serious tone. Heiji knew that his friend was frustrated, probably because Jim's death was unexpected. Unknowingly to them, Mitsuhiko and Haibara were behind, hiding beneath the passenger seats.