Lying

Ai woke up, with a pounding headache. But she couldn't open her eyes -she was blindfolded. There was only darkness in her sight.

"Welcome back, my sweet Sherry-"

It was redundant to question the voice. Ai knew it all too well, giving the chills on her spine -it was Gin. She felt a hand flicked her hair and she felt it -the contact of a cold-blooded man. She figured that Gin was not wearing his usual black gloves.

"You know that your freedom is at my mercy, and you tried to get away," he spoke once more, each syllable was purposely dragged on to torture her. If he wouldn't kill her, he'll be scaring her to death. She fought to remain still.

"Maybe I should just crush your ankles so you won't run away-" he was whispering to her ears right now. Her right eye involuntarily twitched at the close contact. She shifted away in discomfort, like he was a bee that needed to be avoided. But she was a flower to him, the one that he preyed on for years "- and maybe gouge your eyes out while I'm at it, so that you won't look at anyone else."

He chuckled. Ai didn't question if he was joking. Heck, she knew that he lacks a sense of humour.

"But it won't be fun, you won't be able to see my welcoming gift," Gin added.

"I have no time to play with your games-"

"No, no, Sherry, I'm playing fair here. I'm already generous that I'm not mutilating you. But someone needs to be punished in our story," Gin said, rather excitedly.

"And let me tell you the rules- anyone who looks at your beauty will have his sight taken away. Anyone who touches you- well, I think I'll just rip his arms off," he said in a playful sadistic manner, completely toying with her vulnerability, "no one else can have you, except me. But I bet you don't understand. So I'll give you a preliminary example to explain the game."

"Wanna guess what my present is?"

"No, don't tell me-"

"That's right, you gotta see it for yourself, my sweet Sherry-" he removed her blindfolds.

No.

Ai gasped, the vision getting blurred out my tears threatening to fall. The frozen case encapsulating her emotions were thawing right away, at the gruesome sight. She choked on air. It seemed harder to breathe.

There he was, dead.

The bespectacled boy was battered and bruised, his eyeless head facing her with a look of horror in his expression that mirrors hers. The usual blue suit and blazer he was wearing were hollow around the arms.

She let out a scream.

She stood up in her bed.

I guess it was just a nightmare.

Ai heard distant footsteps - they were urgent, heavy and drawing nearer. The door swung open, revealing Conan, who was well and alive, in contrast to the one in her dream.

She never felt so relieved.

"Haibara! What is it?!" he asked, as if the whole incident that happened between them two nights ago never occurred.

"Nothing..."

"You can't say that, you just screamed," he stepped forward, but she remained staring at him in awe.

"No... It's fine..."

It was alright, really. The sight of him being in a healthy living state was sufficient for her. She already lost her parents and Akemi -there was no way she'll lose another.