After Life

Conan ran as fast as he could. He fumbled with the detective badge, crying out, "Tyler! Oi! Answer me!"

But there was no answer.

Damn it! Why do people always get in trouble the moment I leave them?

"Wait! Kudo!" Heiji called out, tailing behind him. Conan reached the entrance of the Shangri-La Tokyo Hotel, in time to see the rental vehicle that Tyler was in speeding off fast. Regardless, Conan chased after it.

At this rate, the gap between me and the car will lengthen. If only I can drive something-

"Ah, Shinichi!" Agasa called out as Conan dashed past him, "I was on the way home from convention and I got your skateboard all fixed!"

"Hakase! Then I'm taking this!" Conan yelled, snatching the skateboard away.

"Wait! Shinichi!-"

But it was too late. The boy with spectacles sped off with his skateboard, the chase still on his mind.

"Hakase!" Heiji called out, breathlessly panting for air. He was unable to catch up with the young detective.

"Ah, Heiji-kun," Agasa greeted him, "Shinichi-kun was in a hurry and took his skateboard. I didn't get to tell him that the skateboard may have effects after using it for a while! You know him, he gets very hasty when it comes to cases." The old man chuckled.

"Hakase, someone kidnapped Tyler. Kudo's after him right now. Do you happen to have your car around here?" Heiji asked.

"Alright, follow me."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As Conan used the skateboard, he was beginning to see the rental car again. He felt his phone buzzing on his pocket and sees Heiji's name on the screen.

"Hattori!" he said, almost screaming on the device, "I'm tailing the car right now. Where are you?"

"I'm in Hakase's car right now. Just keep following the car."

"Alright, we're under the nearby overhead bridge, drive at the alternate towards the junction. We'll corner him from there."

Yosh! Once Hattori is at the junction and makes the car stop, I'll catch up to the driver and use my stun gun to knock him out.

Conan continued to follow the car until he was only several meters away from it. He used his elastic belt and attached itself to the car, so that he will not lose sight of it.

However, this did not go unnoticed. Gin always had an eye for detail.

I'm not sure why the boss wanted the grandchild of the Moriarty Academy's founder, but I guess I have to follow orders. If this goes well smoothly, I reclaim Anakota's trust. Wait, what the-

Gin's thoughts halted upon noticing a bespectacled boy on a speedy skateboard by the rearview mirror. He was even more surprised when he noticed an elastic belt attached to the car and the teen chasing him. He clicked his teeth in annoyance.

Who is this brat? Probably one of the boy's friends. The last thing I want is some disturbance.

To shake the chaser off, he started to manoeuvre the car in a wayward manner. Yet, the pursuer was persistent, being nimble in his skateboard to avoid other civilians and objects obstructing his path. The pedestrians were left in disbelief at the scene, as the screeching of the tires and the shrunken detective's skateboard engine were attracting their attention. There were a few gasps from women in particular that even got more attention, as other pairs of eyes stopped to check out what the calamity was.