Chapter 29

Gwendolyn

"I will judo chop you Xavier. I'm not playing these games." I yelled at him brandishing a hand held mirror.

He raised his hands in a show of surrender. "What did I do?"

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I threw my lip gloss at him and he easily dodged it. "Scaring people like that."

"I tapped you on your shoulder and asked you if you could drive yourself to work today." He said lowering his hands.

"Why?" I lowered my weapon.

"I've got some business to take care of. I will be there as soon as I can." He pulled me towards him and kissed my cheek. "I promise."

"Fine. Now get out." I tried my best to sound angry with him but I laughed at the end, ruining it.

He felt his face, like he was adjusting his glasses, then looking away from me.

I took his hand in mine. "It's OK. At some point in time it would have been revealed anyway."

"Its been years since I first wore them." He said. "Since I was 14."

"We're breaking that streak today." I said pushing him towards the door. "Now get out."

He smirked but left, closing the door behind him.

I sighed a few times before finally accepting that I had work today and getting dressed for work.

Downstairs there was a sandwich with some car keys and a note next to it.

"Black Hummer" The note read.

He assigned me a specific car. Wow.

I picked up the sandwich and the car before proceeding to emerse myself back into my busy life.

*****

Xavier

"Who is he?" I asked Hector.

Hector is my hired spy, to watch the house for any sign of danger.

"He won't talk." Hector shrugged.

"Has Ivana reported back yet?" I asked as he followed me down a series of steps.

"Yes. She says their planning something but she doesn't know what." He recited. "Marquis seems eager. So does his right hand."

"Marquis has never been patient and Damien will never lay another hand on her." I said.

We arrived at a locked, steel-doored room and I used my fingerprint and retina to unlock the door.

A man sat in the chair bolted to the middle of the floor. He was restrained but he could just barely turn his head slightly to see me.

"What's your name?" I asked him and Hector pulled a big box to one side of the room.

He only spared the box a glance before smirking up at me with his broken teeth, saying nothing. Challenging me.

I punched him in his jaw, a straight right hook, and heard a loud snap in response.

He groaned in pain.

"When I ask a question I will get an answer. So we're going to try this again." I took off my jacket and rolled up my sleeves. "What is your name?"