Chapter 15

Gwendolyn

"What do you mean 'I don't know'?" I asked.

"I can't love." He said randomly. "I can't be loved."

"Stop talking in riddles." I said. "Anyone can love."

"No." Xavier ran his hand through his hair.

"What makes you so sure?" I asked him.

How did we even get on the topic of love. I know he doesn't love me. I do believe in love at first sight but I never actually believed it.

I sure as hell don't love him. I like him but love was a very powerful word.

"I loved my Mother and she's dead because of me." His voice was low.

"I understand that, kinda, but how does that deem you as unlovable?" I questioned.

"Love is a strong emotion and I won't put more people in danger because of it. I won't love you Gwendolyn. It'll put you in danger and it'll hurt worst to lose you if I did love you." He said.

"But you don't love me, right?" I started to play with his fingers having nothing else to do.

"I don't know." He responded.

"Xavier I'm perfectly capable of protecting myself." I told him. "As demonstrated previously."

"I can see that Gwendolyn but what about when you can't?" He questioned.

"If we were dating it would be up to you to protect me." I said.

He gazed into my eyes, as if lost, debating with himself. "Gwendolyn if we date, you have to promise me something."

"What?" A feeling of uneasiness curled up in the pit of my stomach.

"If we date, neither of us can fall in love." He looked into my eyes as he said this. "We will do everything a normal couple does except fall in love."

Fall in love?

I can't control that.

But I promised him anyway.

The relashonship was probably going to be more based on sex anyway.

He pulled me onto his lap and kissed my lips gently.

I didn't even have time to care about being on his lap before I became imersed in the kiss.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and he held onto my hips.

I pulled away for air.

He pushed me off his lap before standing up and pulling me up with him. "We're going for a ride."

"Why?" I asked.

"Fresh air." He responded.

He didn't give me a chance to object as he dragged me from my office and out of the building.

"But I didn't come with Evelyn today." I complained as he held the car door open for me.

"Then I'll bring you back to get your car." He said and closed the door.

The car moved easily through the busy, crowded city streets until we were on a narrow country road.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked him.

"Places." He informed me.

I was going to ask what places when my phone rang.

I checked the Caller I.D. Mom? She hardly ever called from her own phone, she always talked to me either when she saw me or when Dad called me.