Chapter 21

Gwendolyn

When I got up in the morning I made some French Toast sticks and got ready for work.

I brushed my now tangled curls. Perhaps I would wear them on Friday.

Xavier tapped his foot, looking at his watch impatiently. "If we don't leave now, we're going to be late."

"Remember what happened the last time you questioned my timing." I asked him. "Besides, we are leaving now. Aren't we?"

He scoffed and opened a door to his right, letting me go out first.

The small door actually led to a humongous garage.

There had to be every car known to mankind in this garage.

I ran my hands over a sleek limousine and looked into the mirrors of a bright yellow lamborgini.

"Well I'm waiting." He crossed his arms.

"For what?" I asked.

"Pick a car." He nodded towards the vehicles.

"You have too many cars. Let's take the Hummer." I pointed to it.

He opened a small cabinet next to him and took out a set of keys. "Any specific color?"

"You've got different colors?!" My jaw dropped and he gave me a smirk.

"Yes. Red, Yellow, Blue, Green and a few others." He pointed them out.

He's too rich.

"Blue." I said and he led me towards the car.

We didn't actually leave until he opened and closed the door for me. Then we were off.

I was looking down at my phone when we got off the elevator. I could feel eyes on Xavier and I as we parted to our workplaces.

I sat on the couch in my office and looked up at the ceiling.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Evelyn asked as she sat down next to me.

I hadn't even heard her come in.

I held up two fingers. "If a Tomato is a fruit then shouldn't ketchup be called a jelly?"

"Let me get you some work to do. You have too much free time." She got up.

I didn't move. "It's not like I can help it. The guy does everything by himself. All I do is come sit in this office for 6 hours and get paid." I ranted. "I occasionally attend meetings.

"There's a meeting everyday." Evelyn said. "Why don't you call somebody?"

"People are too difficult to deal with. If I keep my circle small the less people I have to assert myself with." I said.

She pulled me up from my seat and pushed me toward my desk. "Go."

Ironically when I flopped down in my seat the phone started to ring.

Evelyn put her hands on her hips and smiled at me.

"Whatever." I sighed and picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Quindi lei esiste." A deep voice  crooned on the other end of the phone.

"You think I would make it up?" Another voice. An awful familiar voice.

"Damien why in the hell are you calling me. You know damn well we aren't ever getting back together." I sighed and shook my head.

"That's not true. You've always been mine and you'll always be mine. I know you miss me." He said in response blowing his own cover.

"First of all Imma need you to take it down a notch. Second of all move on Damien. I've had boyfriends before you." I told him.

"You'll be mine again, just wait and see." He said.

"Like I said before, when pigs fly." I said and hung up the phone.

Evelyn wasn't smiling now, she looked frantic even. "Should we tell Mr.Wells?"

"Why?" I got up from the chair. "If Damien really wanna do this then he need to man up and bring his bitch-ass here so I can punch his teeth in."

I looked at my watch.

Evelyn relaxed. "Violence is not always the answer."

"Focus on those words 'Not always' meaning that sometimes it is." I pointed out.

"So I heard through the grapevine that you and Mr.Wells are hitting some bumps in your intimate relashonship." She wiggled her eyebrows.

"Who told you this?" I logged into the computer.

"Gerald." She answered.

"Ask Gerald just how much money has he lost so far." I said. "See if he got anything to say to that."

She inhaled sharply and laughed. "I'll be sure to tell him."

The door opened and Xavier walked in.

He stood beside the door until Evelyn took that as her cue to leave. "They know where you live and work."

"No shit." I said. "You say that as if I didn't just get a random phone call."

"From who?" He asked.

"Some Italian guy and Damien." I shrugged. "Probably another one of his playboy friends."

"How many times has this happened?" He questioned.

"Once. But Damien knows I won't answer to his number so he'll continue to borrow his friends' phones." I said.

"You said the other guy was Italian?" He asked and ran his hand through his hair.

"Yes. What can you make of it Sherlock?" I put my elbows on my desk.

He adjusted his sunglasses. "Damien's in the Italian mafia."

I burst out laughing. "Oh please. That bitch couldn't even run his own bath water let alone join a gang."

"Gangs and Mafias are different Gwendolyn." He said.

I wiped literal tears out of my eyes. "Whatever."

I focused on my computer screen again but from the corner of my eye I could see him staring at me.

For some reason it didn't make me uncomfortable.

*****

Heyy
Word of the update is:

Superhero.

A: I have to admit the first thing I thought of was Batman. But the second was my Dad.

Leah💋💋💋💋💋💋💋