Chapter 8

Xavier

I took another swing at the punching bag in front of me. I shouldn't be thinking about her.

We had just met and I knew well enough that anybody I dared take an interest in would be in immediate danger.

Except for Katia.

She had been murdered because her brother wouldn't pay his debts.

So the gang he owed had hit her with a black, windowless van going at least sixty miles per hour.

Her body had seemed to be going in slow motion as it flew the air and landed on the asphalt thirty feet away.

Everything else had been a blur.

Riding in the ambulance, watching the doctors operate through a glass window.

The heart rate monitor beeps forming a single, long note when it could no longer sense her heart beat.

Her brother, Marquis, had always hated me.

But now he blamed me for his sister's death and I'd be lying if I had said I didn't blame myself just a little bit.

I had been there with her that day and I stopped walking to answer a call, letting her continue across the street.

I swung faster and harder as my thoughts threatened to consume me.

Then I thought of her. Gwendolyn Chambers. Such a nice name.

Before I could stop myself I had taken a minor interest in her. Wanting to know her. That was all.

I refused to let any woman fall for me. It's my lifetime goal.

So what if I never have an heir to my trillion-dollar company, nobody would be in danger.

Marquis wanted revenge for his sister. He planned to take whoever I so choose to love away from me.

I knew he did.

But since my Mother was long dead and all I had left was my brother he lay in wait. For someone. Anyone. To love me and I returned the feeling.

So I made sure it never happened.

"Bro. We've been in here for two hours." Francis complained. "You got your shit together yet?"

I said nothing to him.

"If you like her so much just ask her out." He said.

"I don't like her." I told him.

"Yeah and my wife is a unicorn." He said.

I started to take off the boxing gloves. "I should tell her you said that."

"No you shouldn't. You should ask this girl out. Just because you've become all gothic and creepy doesn't mean that you can't love or be loved." He said.

"Yes it does because if I love somebody I'll be putting them in danger by loving them." I explainded my logic.

"You like her. Admit it." Francis said.

I threw one of the gloves at him and he caught it. "Ok fine I do like her personality. She fierce and independent."

"Spoken like a true creep." He said and I threw the other glove at him."You should tell her."

"I have to know her first. Hence the word personality." I walked out of my gym and to the kitchen.

"Well if you aren't gonna date her at least get yourself laid. It's been too long. I can tell." He followed me.

He wasn't wrong. "No. I will not randomly sleep with someone."

"See if you keep saying no how are you going to get through life?" He asked and we seated ourselves at the built-in bar.

"I might just listen to you once in a while."

I couldn't lie. It was obvious. There was just something about her that my mind desired. That I needed in my life.

*****

Wazzup
This week was crappy cause I didn't have time to update.
I'm out
Leah💋💋💋💋💋💋