Chapter Forty Three: Diner

The rest of the walk was relatively quiet, excluding the couple times Lance tried out pet names on his (now official) boyfriend. Keith was almost as red as his jacket. They walked up to the diner and Lance opened the door. "Ladies first," he bowed.

"Haha," Keith sighed and walked in. "You could at least say 'my liege' or something."

Lance smirked and walked in after him.

The hostess looked up and smiled, "How many?"

"Just two."

"Follow me this way, please." She picked up two menus and walked through the diner. She stopped at a booth in the corner and put down the menus. "Your server will be with you shortly," she smiled again and walked away.

Keith opened one of the menus and flipped through it. "Am I going to pay or-"

"Don't be silly," Lance smirked. "I'll pay."

He nodded, "Okay." His eyes went over the options. "Can we get waffles?"

"You can get whatever you want... within reason."

Keith giggled, a small laugh with a soft smile. He looked up to see Lance gaping at him. "What?"

"Don't- Don't do that."

"Do what?" He asked innocently, "What's wrong?"

Lance covered his face. He mumbled, "You're really cute, did you know that?"

"U-Uh... no?" The two stared at each other in embarrassment before Keith picked up the menu to cover his face. "A-Anyway, I was going to get the strawberry and chocolate chip waffle. Have you decided what you want?"

Having recovered from Keith's cuteness, Lance was looking down at his menu like a normal person. "Yeah, I-"

"Hello." Their waitress, a tall girl with chocolate skin, gold hoop earrings, and dark, curly hair, walked over. "My name is Shay and I'll be your server. What can I get you to dri-" Her eyes widened in recognition. "Oh, Lance! How's it going?" Shay smiled sweetly, always happy to see familiar faces. Keith put down the menu covering his face, and she glanced over. "Keith! Wow, you two know each other? That's great!"

Lance smiled, "Yeah, we're actually-"

"I'm staying with his family." Keith met Lance's gaze before looking down.

Shay spoke softly, "Ah. How's your mom doing? Better, I hope?"

"Yeah," Keith nodded. "She's almost out of the cast."

"That's good." She tapped her pen against the notepad. "Are you guys ready to order?"

Lance nodded before turning to Keith. "You go first."

"Okay, I'll have the strawberry and chocolate chip waffle," he smiled at Shay, trying not to panic under Lance's stare.

She smiled back, "Anything to drink?"

"Just water please."

Shay nodded and turned to Lance, "And what would you like?"

Keith didn't hear what Lance wanted. He didn't hear the rest of the conversation. No one will ever love you. Lance was going to ask why he didn't tell Shay, and he wasn't ready. He couldn't answer that. He looked up, and Shay was already gone from the table.

"Hey-"

He was already standing up. "I, uh, I gotta go to the bathroom." He quickly walked away before Lance could say a single word, leaving the Cuban boy looking completely lost.

Ayyyy

{Also please don't tell me that Keith is overreacting}