Chapter Twenty One: Sharp Shooter

Update on my ages for this au (and this is before Pidge's birthday so)... Shiro is 23, Keith and Lance are 17, Hunk is 18, and Pidge is 14 (not sure if I'll include Allura, but she'd probably be the same age as Shiro)

Since I now know Lance's birthday is on the 28th, Keith will be born July 26th in this AU

"Well, uh, as I was trying to say, your mom left two waffles for you." Keith stood up and opened the fridge, pulling out the waffles. He placed them in the microwave and set the timer for a minute. It had only been about ten minutes since the other McClains had left, so the waffle couldn't be that cold. He turned back around to see Lance twirling one of his curls with his fingers. "Sorry about last night," Keith sat back down. "I guess I woke you up." He rubbed his thumb against his hand anxiously and sat down.

Lance shook his head, "Don't be sorry. I'm happy to help you whenever." He looked at Keith, the concern clear on his face. "Are you alright, though? Was it just a nightmare or is something going on?"

"It-It's nothing." Keith looked down at his empty plate, "It's in the past."

Lance clearly wasn't satisfied with the answer, but he didn't want to push it. "...If you say so."

The microwave beeped and Keith stood up, "I'll get it." He popped the door open and pulled out the plate of waffles. "Do you wan't whipped cream or anything?"

"Yeah, whipped cream sounds good," Lance smiled.

Keith scooped some out of the container with the knife and spread it over the top waffle, filling in all the holes. María had found the time to whip her own cream earlier. "Here you go, sharp shooter," he smiled and set the plate down in front of Lance, sitting down next to him.

"Sharp shooter, huh?" Lance cut off a piece of a waffle and stuck it in his mouth.

Keith laughed, "I was there at that competition, Lance. You, my friend, are no average shot."

"Thanks," he winked in response. "I didn't see you there, though."

The raven-haired boy pulled his beanie down a little more. "I was there," he sighed. "You were just too busy having a good time." He mumbled, "Too much fun to notice me apparently."

"Sorry," Lance looked at him and continued eating his waffle. "But, speaking of fun, Pi- Katie's birthday is in two days."

Keith nodded, "Yeah. She's going to be fifteen."

"Fifteen?!" Lance yelled. "I thought she's just really short!"

He got a laugh in response. "She is short for her age too, but she moved up a few grades to our year." Keith grabbed a piece of waffle and popped it in his mouth. "I'll probably buy her some more science equipment or something."

"Don't touch my precious waffle." Lance swatted Keith's gloved hand away. He flinched in response and drew his hand back. "Keith?"

He laughed nervously and shook himself out of his thoughts. "Sorry, what?"

"You flinched. Did I hit you too hard? Sorry if I did." Lance looked at him with concern.

The quiet boy waved his hand dismissively. "It's- It's nothing. Don't worry about it."

"If you say so..."

I'm trying to get back in the swing of things ^^;