Part 2) Chapter Twenty-One

My eyes instantly widened. I opened and closed my mouth several times like a fish out of water, unsure of what to say. I had mixed feelings about my father now. Now that he was dead. What was I supposed to do now? Would anything even happen in my life in the first place? I feel as if I ask way too many questions that I can’t answer.

            “How?” I managed to say. I mentally congratulated myself for not sounding stupid.

            “I believe you can guess, Mr. di Angelo,” The Caucasian one said.

            I thought about that for a moment. Why did he think I could guess it? Maybe I had other people that were close to me dying the same way.

            Then, it dawned on me. “A…car crash?” I surmised.

            The African American one smiled, but it was filled with amusement. Why was he amused?

“Just like what he said. You are very smart,” The African American one said.

            “Just like what who said?”

            “Not important.”

            I raised an eyebrow, but I said nothing. So, my father died in a car crash? Just like my sister and my mother? I didn’t know what to think about that. But, would that mean I would die in a car crash? I was really not looking forward to my future.

            “Then, what do I do now?” I looked up at the two men that stood in front of me.

            The two men glanced at each for a brief moment, before turning back to me.

            “You are very strong indeed,” The Caucasian one commented.

            “Just like your father,” The African American one added.

            I raised an eyebrow. “You guys…knew my father?”

            The Caucasian one nodded. “We have been keeping records of him.”

            My eyes widened again. “You have? But why?”

            The African American one cleared his throat. “We are getting side-tracked from the topic. You are no longer allowed to stay at this residence any longer.”

            “Wait, what?! Why?!” I demanded.

            “Mr. di Angelo,” the Caucasian one began, “you must now understand that you are an orphan. As an orphan, you must be legally taken into a home or family under the government. You cannot just ‘move in’ with another family without us knowing.”

            “So let me get this straight, you guys are the government?” My eyes felt like they were going to pop out of my eye sockets.

            The Caucasian one only continued to stare me down. “Not important.”

            I scowled and narrowed my eyes at them. “So, what am I going to do now?” I doubted Percy’s family wanted to go through all of this complicated government stuff just so they could keep me.

            “Pack,” The African American one simply ordered. “We will take you to an orphanage.”

            “What if I refuse?” My gaze on them was unwavering.

            “Then you are going against the law, Mr. di Angelo,” The Caucasian one informed.

            I gritted my teeth. So this is what my life had come to…an orphanage. I really didn’t want to get separated from Percy and everyone else, but I didn’t want them to go through all of this shit. And, I really didn’t want to meet new people at the orphanage.