Part 1) Chapter Eight

“We can always paint your room tomorrow,” Percy suggested as we walked to school together.

            I shrugged. “I guess. Are you even willing to help me paint my room? You seem like a lazy person.”

            “Hey, if I get to bond with you, then I’ll do absolutely anything.”

Today was Friday, and yesterday on Thursday, was the day when Percy and I snuck into my own room. After Percy put away the ladder, he helped me unpack my things like he promised. It was silent while we were unpacking my stuff, and the majority of that reason was because we were both exhausted. So we unpacked my stuff as quickly as we could, and then drifted right off to sleep afterward. Percy was so tired he couldn’t go back to his own room, so he slept on the floor of my new room.

“I am so sore today, I hate it. Good thing football practice isn’t until Sunday.” Percy yawned.

I rolled my eyes. “That’s why I told you to sleep in a bed, not the floor.”

“You wouldn’t share your bed with me!”

“Well, of course not! Haven’t heard of personal space?!”

Percy only pouted at my response, and I just rolled my eyes.

When we arrived at school, I was planning on darting away and into my own little world by the tree in the field, but Percy had other plans for me. He grabbed my wrist before I can even commence my darting-away-plan.

I stared up at him with a confused, but fake, expression. “Why are you holding onto my wrist? If you want to hold onto someone, go find Annabeth.” I yanked my wrist out of his grasp.

Percy looked a little hurt by my gesture, but he rolled his eyes. “I know you were planning on running away from me once we got to school. I’m not that stupid.”

“Really? Never noticed.”

Percy playfully shoved my in the shoulder and pouted once more. “You are so mean, Nico.”

I shrugged. “I get that a lot. That’s why I never hang out with people. I’m not a person that’s very good at getting along with others.”

“You got along with me and the others just fine.”

“You guys tried four times to become friends with me, of course I got along fine with you after four times,” I remarked.

“Hey, you seemed like a great guy to be friends with!” Percy defended.

My lips titled downward. “Did I?”

Percy rolled his eyes once more. “Nico, Nico, Nico. You aren’t very bright when it comes to complimenting you, are you?”

“Well, no,” I flatly replied. “I’m not used to getting praise so often, so I don’t really know the difference between compliments and trying to be nice. I usually think you guys are just trying to be nice to me, since I got beaten up by Castellan and all.”

Percy sighed. “You—are—hopeless.”

Before I attempt to escape again, Percy grabbed my wrist once more and dragged me to where his other friends were.

“You’ve never even met all of my friends yet, and I think it’s finally time you do,” Percy said.

“Sorry, but I don’t like being around a lot of people.”

“If we have to, we’ll introduce you to the ones you haven’t met yet one by one.”

I rolled my eyes. “And you call me the hopeless one. I don’t see how your friends can keep up with all of your crazy ideas.”