Part 1) Chapter Sixteen

My throat became dry, and my eyes became so wide I thought that they would pop out of their eye sockets. Wasn’t Percy with Annabeth? Why would he like someone like me? Did he even know what he was saying? And, did he mean in a friendly kind of way, or in an actual loving kind of way? Millions of questions swam in my head, by my throat decided to not work, so I just stared in complete shock at the other person in the room.

            I cleared my throat, and decided to think that he meant it in a friendly kind of way. I regained my composure as best as I could, and tried to sound as normal as possible. “I do too, you know. You’ve…done a lot for me anyway.”

            Percy sighed and he grasped my cheek once more. “No, Nico. Not as a friend. Even more than that, and I know you know what I mean.”

            My breathing almost stopped. “Are you serious?! That’s…how…but…” I didn’t even know what to ask first.

            Percy chuckled. “I know, I know. It seems unbelievable, huh? I told Silena when we were in Kay Jewelers on Friday. I was really confused and scared about what people would think, but after seeing what happened to you today just now, I don’t really care anymore.” Percy gave me a genuine smile. “I really do love you, Nico. Really, I do. I had to tell you sometime, you know. I couldn’t keep it with me forever.”

            “But…” I had so many things on my mind right now, my mouth wouldn’t cooperate. I decided to try again. “But aren’t you dating…Annabeth? What about her?”

            “Well,” Percy started, “I do love her. But, not as much as you. I just love making you smile, but I hate seeing that look you get whenever your smile goes away. I want to make you happy without seeing that look. I want to make you smile in your life more than you do now. You really deserve it. You don’t deserve anything that happened in your life before. I was actually planning on breaking up with her soon…”

             I was totally speechless. Percy was going to break up with Annabeth…for me? “But…”
 I shook my head. “You don’t have to. I mean, I know you really like her. Maybe this all a mistake.” I gave him a nervous smile. “Surely you don’t actually mean it, right? I mean, maybe you’re just over-thinking this. Nothing good ever happens in my life.” My nervous smile faltered. “So, you actually liking me was never a possibility that could ever happen.”

            Percy raised an eyebrow. “So, you actually do like me?” He smirked.

            I glanced to the side, the blush spreading across my face very evident. “Well, actually, I’ve liked you since I started high school, before we actually met.”

            Percy blinked momentarily at me. “Wow, I didn’t even know that. Is that why…?”

            I already knew what he was thinking. “Yeah, that’s why I hated contact from you so much.”

            Now it was Percy’s turn for his eyes to become wide. “That…explains a lot about you now.” Percy rubbed the back of his neck.

            “You know,” I started, “you don’t have to break up with Annabeth for me.” I ignored the clenching of my heart. “I’m content with what I have now with you.” I would’ve smiled, but I knew it would give away how I actually felt if I did.

            “Are you sure about that?” Percy asked, but I avoided his gaze that was on me. “I’d do anything for you. And, it’s fine if I have to—”

            “You should stay with her,” I interrupted. “It’s better.”

            “Better for whom, exactly?” Percy asked. “Better for me?” The way he said it made me uncomfortable. I was pretty sure he was hinting at…at something, but I couldn’t figure out what.