Part 1) Chapter Fourteen

Start from the beginning

            Percy glanced behind his shoulder, while Silena turned around fully. “Yeah?”

            “When she asks, tell her. She’s not lying when she said I let her know,” I told Percy, who only raised an eyebrow.

            “What are you talking about?”

            I sighed. “You’ll find out soon enough.”

            Silena smiled at me. “Thanks, Nico.”

Percy glanced from Silena to me, and then sighed. “What kind of conversation did you guys have earlier?”

Silena only giggled and tapped on Percy’s shoulder. “You’ll find out soon enough.”

“What is that, phrase of the day?” Percy said exasperatedly, before he followed Silena farther into the field, where no one else was.

“Wait, Nico, you know what Silena wants to talk about?” Hazel turned towards me.

I shrugged. “Maybe.”

“Maybe?! How does that answer my question!”

I shrugged. “Who knows?”

Hazel sighed heavily and rubbed her right temple. “Why do you talk in riddles?”

I shrugged. “Who knows?”

“Nico!” Hazel laughed.

“No but seriously, what are they talking about?” Jason decided to join in on the conversation. “I’ve never seen Silena get like that.”

“She only gets like that when she’s afraid or nervous,” Beckendorf answered, taking a swig from the half-empty water bottle in his right hand.

“Maybe she wants to ask Percy out on a date.” Leo snickered. I totally forgot to mention that Leo was here as well, even though he wasn’t on the football team either.

Annabeth sent the Latino a venomous death glare, crossing her arms across her chest. Beckendorf shoved Leo off his chair. I smiled at them, clearly amused.

Ow, jeez guys, can’t take a joke?” Leo grumbled, pushing himself off the ground and dusting himself off. He glanced at me and saw me smiling. “Glad you enjoy my suffering.” He dropped himself into his seat.

Everyone glanced at me and my smile instantly died. I blinked blankly at all of them, unsure of what to say. I felt very self-conscious, and I didn’t like it. No one ever noticed me; I made myself unnoticeable on purpose. But, now I was the center of attention, and I certainly hated it.

“Wow, well would you look at that. Nico was actually smiling.” Will smirked.

“I should’ve gotten my camera ready.” Kayla sighed.

“You guys are all idiots,” I grumbled, crossing my arms over my chest and slouching in my seat. I glared at all of them around me.

“Nico, you are just so cute. You are the cutest freshman I’ve ever seen. I’m surprised I haven’t noticed you earlier,” Piper cooed, pinching my cheeks.

I swatted her hand away and sat back up in my chair. “I make myself unnoticeable.”

“Why?” Jason asked, raising an eyebrow.

I realized that I had said way too much for my liking. I opened and closed my mouth several times, unsure of what to say for the second time of the day. I decided to keep my mouth shut, and my lips tilted downward. I soon responded, “None of your business.”