chapter 37

Alex's pov

Britts crying calmed down as we looked around the room and at the lights. I was scared out of my mind. I got up and out of Britts grip and limped towards the door. I locked it and pulled back the curtains that were over the glass windows. I was surprised to see no one in the hallway. I saw a bright red light flashing on and off.

"alex!" Britt whispered yelled to me.

I turned around and she was motioning me to come towards her.

"get away from the window!"

I shook my head and looked out again this time I saw a nurse running down the hallway with a few patients. their feet stomped against the hard floor as they ran past. another nurse was following behind them keeping all of the patenints together. I felt a big tug on my arm as I was yanked away from the window. Britt caught me and brought me back over towards the bed.

"lizzie is out there Alex! if she sees you she'll kill you!" she whispered to me.

I nodded my head knowing what could happen. and if lizzie is in here, max and Jacob aren't safe either. I think Britt got the same idea as me because we both looked at each other.

"oh my god... what about max and jaocb?" she said slowly.

I looked around my room and saw the clip board and marker sitting on the desk. I crawled over to it and grabbed it and found a mini flash light in the drawer so that Britt could actually read it. 

'just leave them, they can go first...' 

"Alex! no, so not happening!"

'fine.. then lets go to max's room and get him then go to Jacobs room and lock our selfs in his room'

"I guess that works but I swear if you try to make max get killed first in anyway I swear Alex. he has been a big help with everything lately and you need to appresate that!"

'never in my life with I ever apperchate that thing'

I threw the board onto the bed and saw Britt roll her eyes. I limped towards the door and Britt followed. I pointed to the window and Britt slowly put her hand up to it and slowly moved it back. she looked out turning her head to each side. she pulled the curtain back and shook her head. I took a deep breath and unlocked the door as quietly as I could but it still made a click sound. Britt hushed at the door and I looked over at her like she was crazy. she rolled her eyes at me again and told me to open the door... so I did. very slowly I turned the knob and pulled the door open. the flashing red light came thru the door creating a shadow for me everytime the light came on. this might be a problem if we end up having to run. I walked out into the hallway holding onto the wall making my way towards the elevator which was all the way down the hall. Britt quietly followed behind putting a hand on my shoulder and wrapping her arm around my waist to help me walk better. once we made it to the cornor, I peaked my head around and saw no one there. the flashing red light got bright as I saw it sitting above the elevator. I started to move towards the elevator but Britt pulled me back against the wall.

"we have to take the stairs.. we wont make it with the elevator, she will know where we are"

I sighed and nodded going towards the doors to the stairway. 2 flights up is all we need to go. I opened the door and it made a squeaking sound. I cringed at it and swung the whole door open which made the squeaking sound echo thru the hallway. I looked back at Britt and she quickly pushed my thru the door. the door closed with a soft click and we made our way up the stairs. what if max isn't there once we get to his room? where will we go then? lizzie could be up on that floor once we turn around and try to go back to my room or Britt's room. I got down on my knees and started crawling up the stairs since it was much easier for me. Britt tried to keep her steps quiet since her bare feet were smacking against the hard stairs. once we made it up one flight, we both heard a door open from below. I looked over the railing and looked down as I heard the door shut close. Britt ran down a step and grabbed me getting me to climb up the next set of stairs. when we got to the top I stood up and hopped over to the door. I was about to open it but Britt put her hands in front of me before I could even touch the door.