38 The Testament: Catastrophe (Present)

Start from the beginning

"It belonged to Yoshiro. And he wanted you two to get it," her guardian corrected her.

"I said I didn't want it." The blonde pressed her palms on her eyes and sighed. "I don't want it. I want my family and my uncle back."

Midori and Yuna exchanged a puzzled look before the black-haired woman said, "Yui-chan. You know that isn't possible. You have to accept that."

"Oh. And should I buy expensive shit that I don't need? Should I become a stupid IT-Girl who has no idea about real life?" Snorting, she stared at her passengers.

"Nobody asks you for something like that. We just want a solution that is right for everyone. You won't bring anyone back if you make yourself a martyr," said the nurse.

Affirmatively, the older girl nodded. "Really, Yui. Let it stay. Sleep over it, think about it for a bit and then we talk about this by the end of the week. You are cleverer than me. Use your brains." Offended, the youngest turned her face away. The other two looked at each other uneasy, but then remained silent for the rest of the ride.

Yui hastily left the cab in front of the pension and stormed into the building. "Are you getting along with her, Yuna-chan?" Midori asked.

Weakly smiling, the girl nodded. "Yes, sure. I was hoping that she would feel better when she was here. She needs some time."

Uncertainly the black-haired bit her lower lip. "May I ask you something? Something personal?" Briefly considered the blue-haired, then she nodded. "How were you able to live through the last few months?"

"In what way?"

"Only two weeks ago, the office transferred the orphan's pension for you. Retroactive from the date of death of your parents. How did you provide for the rent and food in the last three months? Who paid insurance and the likes?" wondered the guardian.

Yuna swallowed once. She had always taken money from the warehouse when needed, but she couldn't say that. The warehouse was directly related to the oni and the weapons depot was also there. She didn't intend to use it anymore, but you can never know. She had also thought about how she could extract the property from the inheritance mass. It raised too many questions that couldn't be answered. At least not for the humans.

"Yoshiro had given me an advance," she confessed. It was only a small lie.

"How much? Was it considered in the legacy?"

"No idea. It was a few hundred thousand yen. From it I could pay the rent and for my daily needs. I never cared for insurance or anything like that."

Midori sighed. "Alright. We have to take a closer look. Do you have any bills?"

Shaking her head, the blue-haired girl answered, "No."

The nurse frowned. "Alright," she finally decided. "Keep the money aside as a reserve. For all cases."

Gladly over this instruction the high-school student nodded. "Okay."

"Were you with Wataru yesterday?"

Yuna pressed her lips together. "I went to bed before Yui. I swear to you. She probably dreamed something strange. She is still crying in her sleep."

"You are right. I know that I can trust you. You take care of your sister so well." The guardian smiled at her protege.

"Get home well, Midori-san." The girl slipped away from her and got out.

"Good night, Yuna-chan. Please also tell Yui-chan."

"Don't worry." Just as the blue-haired was about to slam the door of the vehicle shut, Yui came out the front door. Irritated, the older girl looked at her sister. "What are you doing?" Her eye fell on the bag in the blonde's hands.

"I'm going to Midori-san," the middle-school student said.

"What?!" Perplex, Yuna stared at the other girl.

"Where have you been last night?" Waiting, the younger one tapped her foot on the sidewalk.

Midori opened her car door. "What's going on?" she asked worried.

The blonde stared at her sister, who had not answered yet. "About who wanted Narusegawa-san to tell us? What is wrong with you? What are you hiding from me?"

"Yui. Chill out. I don't hide anything from you."

Slowly the violet-eyed girl shook her head. "Wrong answer." She stepped to the door. "Can I stay with you, Midori-san?"

The guardian blinked in confusion. "Um ... I think so ..."

"Yui!" hissed the high-school student.

The middle-school student looked over the taxi again to her sister. "I don't know who you are anymore," she confessed.

"Let's talk about this." Nervously, the blue-haired girl licked her lips.

"Then talk. Just tell me the truth." Yui's piercing gaze remained on the other girl.

Yuna swallowed hard. She blinked a few times. "You have to trust me, Yui."

Resigned, she closed her eyes. "No. I don't. You don't trust me either." She opened her eyes again, whereupon her gaze became even harder. "I don't know who you are, but you're not my sister." The frustrated and disappointed sound of her voice pierced the heart of the older girl like an arrow.

"Yui-chan!" the nurse called as she slipped out of the cab. "You can't talk to your sister like that."

"Why not?" The blonde eyed the other girl doubtfully. "She looks like Yuna, but she has nothing in common with her. Or do you know what she's been doing all the time?"

Midori looked at the blue-haired. She herself had countless questions for the girl, but she didn't want to ask them here - not now. Nevertheless, Yui was not wrong. She didn't have the slightest idea what the older Masuda girl had been doing in recent months. She seemed to have an extraordinary relationship with the mayoress, but had never felt it necessary to inform her or her sister.

She had neglected to invite the nurse to Yoshiro's funeral even though she had promised. She had been able to do whatever she liked and nobody had control over her actions.

The guardian timidly shook her head. "No. I don't know anything," she confessed.

"Yeah." Yui looked at her sister again. "Trust has to come from both sides. You can't expect us to blindly trust you if you don't trust us."

The blue-haired girl stared open-mouthed like a beaten dog. The words had hit her hard and tears were gathering in her eye. "Yui ..."

"You know where to find us when you're ready to talk." The middle-school student climbed into the taxi, yanked the door shut on Yuna's side and gave her another cold look. "Come on, Midori-san."

The nurse looked again at the high-school student. "I'm sorry about this. I'll talk to her." Deaf and absent, the older sister nodded as she stared at the blonde in the vehicle. Midori got back into the cab and shortly afterwards it started. Trembling, the blue-haired girl lifted her hand and followed the vehicle a few steps before it turned at the next corner.

What was that? What had gotten into Yui? Sobbing, the high-school student wiped away a tear. She entered the pension and climbed upstairs. It was depressingly quiet in the whole house. Morino-san was not there either. Ayumi had flown out and from Wataru she knew that he rehearsed with the band today.

With a heavy heart, she went to her room, tore the futon out of the closet, threw herself on it and began to cry in total dissolution.