37 The Testament: Climax (Present)

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry," the green-eyed mumbled then. Blushing, she looked at her hands, which she laid on the table.

Haruka snorted. "Let me guess: The hormones, yes? A very popular excuse for pregnant women."

"Narusegawa-sama, please. It's enough." Chigusa-san turned to her. "There is no reason for hostility. We all agree that the Takagi Foundation is in the spirit of Yoshiro Takagi, isn't it?"

"She didn't know him at all." Haruka was still staring at the nurse. The black-haired woman wanted to contradict her, but then preferred to keep her mouth closed as she looked at her hands.

"But they were friends," Yuna said to smooth the tension. Midori looked over at her in surprise. "You knew each other, right Midori-san?"

Yui leaned forward to look at her guardian. "For real?!"

"Um ... yes." The nurse thought uncertainly about what she could and should say. "He took care of the girls. He was often in the hospital. He was well known and at some point we started talking."

"That doesn't make them friends." The mayor remained tough.

"It's not about who spent more time with him, okay?" Kazuki stared at the oni. "Besides, in that case I probably knew him the longest. How long have you been in office, Narusegawa-sama? Five years? I've known him for over twelve."

Yuna snorted, but the following glance from Haruka silenced her. "Is this going to be a contest, Chigusa-san?" She rolled her eyes. "I knew him before my office, but that doesn't matter now." She turned to Midori. "Please excuse my outburst. I'm very sensitive when it comes to my close friends."

Although the nurse perceived the emphasis on the 'close' as renewed provocation, she just nodded. "It's okay. No problem."

Kazuki rubbed his beard. "Um ... yes ... back to the Takagi Foundation. We all agree that this would be a good thing, yes?" All present nodded. "Then we should think about what resources the foundation should have."

"Of course the largest possible amount, so that the foundation only has to distribute its profits and not reduce its equity," Haruka said.

"That was clear," Midori snorted.

"Please, speak free, Omura-san." Still ready to fight, the mayor cocked her head.

"I think we should keep a part for ourselves," Yuna said frankly, whereupon she got questioning looks.

"Yuna-chan ... that's what we talked about." The oni looked at the girl a bit confused.

"Sister," Yui breathed.

"Sure, the foundation is a good thing, but we should also think of ourselves." The blue-haired looked up. "You never know what the future holds." A grin crossed Kazuki's face. "I mean, what if we can't do our studies or lose our job? Should we live on the street then?"

Midori smiled. "You really thought about it, Yuna-chan."

"Of course." The high-school student looked at Haruka. "I know you had a different idea, but should we really turn down a billion-heirloom because you appeal to our good heart?"

The mayor's facial features hardened, but then she admitted, "Of course not, Yuna-chan." She looked at the three women one at a time. "What you do with Yoshiro's inheritance is entirely up to you."

"We want to donate, right?" Yui asked no one specific.

"Of course, Yui-chan." Her guardian answered faster than her sister, who now looked over to the nurse.