35 The Testament: Exposure (Present)

Start from the beginning

"That can mean a lot coming from you." He winked, then looked at Midori. "And you?"

"I'm fine. Thank you, Chigusa-san." The black-haired woman glanced over at Haruka, who still looked at her.

"What about you, Masuda-san?" The financial adviser looked at the younger girl.

"Okay, I'd say." Yui kneaded her fingers. "May I have a glass of water?"

"Of course." Mika wanted to jump up as he signed her to stay put. Then he got up, filled a glass of water, and put it before Yui. "Here you go."

The middle-school girl bowed quickly. "Thank you."

"Never mind. Anyone else?"

"No, thank you," the nurse and Narusegawa-san said as they stared at each other.

Kazuki looked at Midori again, then sat down. "All right then. Narita-kun will now log everything that is being discussed in this room. Would you like to get rid of something before?"

The mayoress cleared her throat as she looked at Yuna. "I didn't know you already had a legal guardian, Yuna-chan." Midori looked back and forth between the two, but said nothing.

"It's new," said the blue-haired.

"I have the documents with me if you want to see them." The nurse took her bag on the lap.

"It's fine. We'll make a copy of it for our records," Kazuki interjected. "Anything else?"

The high-school girl looked at Haruka again. Did she make things up, or looked the leader of the oni actually somewhat uncomfortable. It seemed as if she didn't like having someone else at this table. Shouldn't it have been clear that Yuna and Yui were not really capable of acting without a guardian, or would she have used her 'magic'?

The girl thought of a private conversation they've had.

It had been after the last meeting with Kazuki Chigusa. Haruka had offered to give her a ride to the pension, whereupon the girl had consented, since she felt absolutely no desire to take the bus home. She sat on the passenger seat and looked out into the streets. They hadn't spoken since leaving the building. Obviously, both were not very talkative.

"Why are you so interested in the Takagi Foundation, Narusegawa-san?" Yuna finally asked.

"It's a good thing."

"And what if I had said no?"

The oni looked over. "You wouldn't have done that. He wouldn't have wanted that."

"I wonder anyway how the adoption came to a stand." The high-school girl twitched a strand between her fingers. "I've been thinking about it."

Haruka pressed her lips together. "About what in particular?"

"Look, I'm pretty sure that such an adoption is impossible so quickly. There are countless things checked, I suppose. In addition, Yoshiro is dead. How can he adopt someone?"

Haruka took the next turn. "Kazuki is talking too much. I was wondering why he wanted to speak to you alone."

"So you admit you manipulated the adoption?" Yuna wondered.

The driver snorted. "I don't admit anything at all. Are you recording this conversation?"

"Huh?" The Masuda girl blinked.

"Then why are you talking about this, Yuna-chan?"

The blue-haired swallowed. "I just want to understand."