The Puppet Assassin - Ch 17 [physical attraction? -|- dizelde]

Start from the beginning

His hands were still held up, his body tense, but his expression was completely different. He was smirking, his eyes goading me.

"I was just going to give you a little painkiller, to get rid of the headache and to relieve the nausea, through your temples." His voice was deeper and his accent more drawn out. Like a self-congratulatory cowboy... from Scotland.

"Mmm... hmm." I cleared my throat. "I just... It's habit," I said feebly. Dammit! I would do anything to be talking to a normal bloody human and not someone who could pick out a lie.

"Oh," he said softly, sinking a gallon of mirth into the simple sound. His eyes were glinting wickedly and he took a step forward. Our feet were about a foot apart. I could tell because my eyes were downcast and I would not look up. No way in hell.

I pivoted and walked casually over to the fridge. "I might just have a glass of water. Maybe that could... help..." I snuck a look behind me and twitched a little when I saw him silently dogging my steps, like a hunter stalking prey. I'm not prey, puff out your chest Dizelde! Stand tall!

He lowered his head and gave me an upward glance that was brimming with evil intentions.

...I was a titmouse.

"Just let me help you out," he drawled. "I won't hurt you, I swear it."

I sighed and winced. My headache was growing and I wanted to keep my breakfast down. I nodded. He grinned lazily like he'd won a prize he knew he was going to get all along. He reached for me and I lowered my gaze, staring at his jacket. It was a club jacket, probably from his Gaelic football. It fit snugly around his shoulders... His palms brushed my cheeks and I blushed. It was a volcanic blush, rising from my neck and making my face burn. I could've sworn I heard him chuckle under his breath. I raised my eyes to glare at him, and then regretted it. The usually calm, pastel-blue eyes were hard with darker lights through it. It gave him an intense look that made my heart roar in my ears and my mouth dry up. A sharp incisor was biting into his lower lip. He was focused entirely.

He brushed my hair back for a second and then pressed two fingers to each temple. The heat burst through me this time and instead of a light stream in my veins it felt like a wave inside my head. I gasped and he tore his hands away.

"Did I hurt you? Shit, I thought I was doing fine. You have to be careful around the brain, you know?"

I wasn't hurt. It definitely wasn't pain that made me react that way. The headache, illness and even my back pain had gone. It had felt like the wave had washed through my whole body. I narrowed my eyes suspiciously at him. Despite his words, he didn't seem worried as such.

"What did you just do?" He had asked me to trust him! For all I know, his magic could have created millions of cancerous cells all over my body. He could have done anything.

He grimaced disappointedly. "Hadn't thought it would be so obvious." His lips firmed. "I scanned your body for injuries. Usually if I focus on one spot, I can check for wounds with ease without you even noticing. But I tried a search... because I knew that, if you could, you would pretend that you were 'fine'."

"Sure, but still. That does not give you the right to... look through me!" I turned away and headed for the door to the hallway. I'd barely taken a step when he grabbed my arm and spun me around.

"I was worried, okay? I can't believe that your previous accommodations were harm free. And I thought that you could be hiding some big pain because you didn't want to look weak!"

I stared at him blankly. What was up with this guy? "Well, seeing as my word means nothing, did you find anything?"

"Don't. Don't give me that attitude, puppet. I don't regret checking at all."