Chapter 20 - News

A/N: Enjoy~ ^^

----

Ashley's POV

"So, how was your break?" Angel asked when we settled in a vacant table. I opened the wrapper of the sandwich I bought and took a bite.

"It was fine. Spent the whole time watching shows and stuff." Monique replied before biting at her own sandwich. "What about you, Ash?" I glanced up at them and said, "same."

"Aren't you gonna ask what I did over the break?" Angel whined, glaring at us when we became silent after answering her. "Do we really have to?" Monique asked, making me snicker when Angel pouted.

"I hate you guys."

"We were just messin' with ya, Gel." Monique said and bit on her sandwich. "So, what did you do?" I asked her. Angel huffed before she ranted about how her parents offered her to go on a vacation outside the country with her sisters, but she refused because they weren't really that close.

It wasn't a secret, but Angel's family were kind of homophobic, so when she was caught watching YAOI, they reprimanded her for it. And then I came along. It was awkward to say the least, when I first met her family. They basically threatened her so she'll stop hanging out with me, but because she was stubborn to a fault, she disobeyed them.

"I'm not gonna let you keep on insulting my friend just because he's gay or you going to scold me just because I like what I like. I'm not as narrow minded as you. Either you accept me like this or not, is up to you. But do remember that family or not, I don't plan on abandoning my friends." I remember her said to her parents and sisters. That was coming from a fifteen year old girl.

"...and then they said I spend too much time with you guys than I do with them. I mean, could you blame me? They refuse to acknowledge me just because I was going out with Alyson."

Did I not tell you that Angel is bisexual and she's dating a girl from another school? Then, now you know.

"Chill, Gel. So, what's gotten you in such a pissy mood? Red days or worse?" Monique asked, making me grimace in discomfort at the mention of the girls' monthly cycle.

"Worse. Much, much worse." Angel replied in defeat and groaned. Seeing Angel act like this, then it's gotta be incredibly serious. And I can only guess it has something to do with her parents.

"Spill," I demanded, feeling dread in my stomach for the problem that Angel was going to say. We were all silent - save for the noise the other students were making - for a while, before Angel took a deep breath and looked at us in the eyes.

"They planned to marrying me to one of their friends' child."

Silence once again engulfed us as we took in the news Angel had just given.

"That's it? That's what's gotten you to be like that?" Monique questioned after she had recovered from her trance. "What?" Angel asked, confused. I, too, eyed my friend as she looked at us like we grew a pair of heads.

"I meant, that was the thing that got you in a pissy mood?" Monique clarified. I still don't get her as I stared at her in confusion, still.

"I don't think I'm following you, Nik." Angel said, earning a groan from our friend. "What I'm saying is, what's so wrong with having an arranged marriage? I mean, at this time and age, it's basically nonexistent, so for me to know a friend is in an arranged marriage is kinda cool." Monique explained that made both me and Angel look at her with wide eyes.

"Are you being serious right now?" I couldn't help but ask as I stared at her in disbelief. I mean, how is being forced to marry someone cool? Where's the cool part there?