Chapter 25 - Mistake

A/N: We are down a chapter left! Hahaha. Thank you for reading and supporting this story, loves. And without further delay, here's chapter 25.

Enjoy~ ^^

----
Ashley's POV

It was now the final quarter of the final game of this season and everyone was on the edge of their seats as we watched the clash of two rivaling teams: Black Warriors (our team) and Blue Knights.

I'm not really much of a football fan, but I still know some things about the game. And as I watched from the bleachers, my eyes only follows #21 as he was tackled to the ground by a guy bigger than him. I winced at that, slightly praying that he gets out of there without any severe injuries.

"Blue Knights gained another ten yard! They're slowly getting closer to the goal, but time is also running out. Will they make a comeback or will Black Warriors claim victor yet again?" The commentator said, making me look at the scoreboard and saw that the game only has a minute and four seconds left, with a seven point difference.

I returned my gaze to the field again and saw #21 looking straight towards me with an affectionate smile that got my heart beat faster. The people in front of me suddenly screamed, making me flinch from surprise and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at them.

"Kyaaa! He's looking at me! He freaking smiled at me!" A girl with a braided blond hair screamed. "What are you talking about? He was looking at me. You're not his type, ya know." Her companion sassed and the two started bickering, but their voices were downed out when another cheer erupted from the crowd.

#21 had possession of that weird oval-shaped ball and he was running forward towards enemy's domain with three guys beside him. I don't know what that strategy's called, but the three blocked the opposing team and pushed them so #21 could get through. He ran past them, dodging the enemy with skills developed from years of training and ran forward.

Of course, life wasn't really that simple and #21 was surrounded, so he had no choice but to pass the ball to his comrades before they could tackle him. And just like that, the game ended with scores 35-30. Our team won and I cheered for them as well. But when I looked at #21, his head was hung low and his shoulders were slumped, even when he was being surrounded by his comrades who were all happy, he remained silent.

And I know why he feels like that.

So when the guys all went their way to the locker room, I also went down from the bleachers, not really realizing that the girls from before were also following me until we were inside the school. The loud cheers of the guys echoed inside the empty school and I know that I was near them.

"Re--"

"Kyaa! We saw your game, Dustin and you're so cool!" Braided girl squealed, jumping up and down with her friend in front of the whole football team. I spotted Danny looking at me, so I gave him a smile, but he averted his gaze and pretended he doesn't know me. It stung a bit, seeing as he was also my friend.

He's been acting weird since Dustin and I announced our 'relationship' back at my house. He started to discreetly avoid me. At first, I thought it was just because he and Reggins has some bad blood towards each other, but when I tried to talk to him after a while of enduring his silent treatment, he confessed to me that he likes me and that he has been for about the same time I was here.

I was shocked, of course. It was the first time that a guy like Daniel Carter would confess to a person like me. He was upset why I chose Reggins over him when he was dropping out hints that he has feelings for me. I'm not gonna lie that his confession flattered me, but I honestly didn't know that he likes me. I seriously thought that he was just your average guy with a bit of an overprotective nature.