Chapter 26: Brothers

Start from the beginning

Brandon and Boris put the first phase of their plan into action. Step One: Leave posters around the town advertising a great treasure. After that, it was a matter of waiting until the people of the town saw the posters.

While the people did indeed see the posters, the two brothers did not have a chance to proceed to step two. Gospello arrived at the outskirts of the town and saw the posters.

"A great treasure? Are these manuscripts truthful? They say I should consult Brandon and Boris Black."

Gospello waved his hand and stated, "I summon forth from their natural places, Brandon Black and Boris Black of Notably Small Town." The brothers materialised in front of him, and were rightfully taken by surprise. He addressed them directly.

"You brothers are advertising treasure on this parchment. Lead me to it or I shall steal your souls and tether them to... erm, I'm getting ahead of myself. In short, show me the goods or suffer dearly."

Boris and Brandon looked at each other. "What do you think, brother? Out of towner or an uptight townie we've just never seen before?" asked Boris.

"Oh, he's definitely not from around here."

Gospello grew impatient with the brothers and repeated his statement. As a rabbit hopped in front of him, he looked down, and smiled evilly. "Let me show you what happens to those who disappoint me," he said. He grabbed the rabbit by its hind legs, and began to wave his free hand in a swirling motion.

Smoke began to cover the rabbit completely. After a few seconds, the smoke cleared, and now he held a carrot in his hand, holding it up by the carrot-top.

Brandon and Boris understood and looked at each other.

"That's a nice parlour trick, mister," said Boris.

"Say, is the rabbit up your sleeve?" asked Brandon.

"You foolish mortals! Lead me to the treasure at once or you will face dire punishment!"

"Can you believe this guy? What do you even want with the treasure anyway?" asked Boris.

"All spoils of this world belong to darkness. I am tasked with liberating them from the fools that seek to keep them."

"Ooh, dark magic. In that case, you should be letting us mortals have it. Is avarice not evil?" said Brandon.

"I have had enough of your games!" he paused, and then began to chant.

"Billowing up from the eternal fire, demons grant me the power I desire. From their minds into mine own, forge a path before unknown."

From this spell, he was able to look inside the minds of the brothers, and determine that the treasure was not of the material kind, but rather some sentimental words designed to make the townsfolk happier.

"It's worse than I thought. You heathens! Happiness is the most sickening thing that exists. For the heinous acts you have attempted to carry out today, I shall curse you. And this one will ensure your eternal misery.

"World above and world below, let my horrors befall them so. One shall be the monster at sea, the other the hunter, forever it be. No rest at all for their weary souls, not until one begets the other's fall."

With these words, the curse was effective. The brothers were transported into the middle of the Phobos Sea.

Brandon found himself wearing a fisherman's outfit and aboard a canoe. Boris found himself in the water, taking the form of a Kraken.

At first they wept, for they scarcely knew what had happened to them. Brandon made a promise to Boris that he would return home and try to find out what exactly had happened.