Chapter 24: Invasion

Start from the beginning

"Note to self: Avoid flying by giant bird talon," said Amperes.

The bird squawked in response, as if offended by Amperes' statement. Amperes clarified that it felt as if he was on a roller coaster that went forward as fast as it went down, had no end in sight, and had a safety belt that scratched at his torso. The bird squawked again, as if to relay a sort of sarcastic mocking of Amperes' perceived sensitivity.

"Easy girl, he's a plain-speaking simpleton with no tact," said a voice.

"I take it you are Halberd?" asked Bolster.

"Amperes and Bolster. The duo whose incompetence earned them considerable infamy. What brings you to Earth? And what became of your mission to dismantle The Million and capture Phenos and his commanders?"

Amperes took issue with Halberd's accusatory tone and overall statement. He explained that they had been trying to fulfil their mission, but Phenos was especially tough. Halberd then explained that of all the threats to the universe, Phenos was 'little more than a queen bee with a busy hive'.

Halberd invited the two to talk with him in his chamber, to discuss a matter that he felt was urgent. Once there, he asked them why they were calling other androids.

"We were adrift at sea and needed a way back to our target," explained Bolster.

"The three of us are all organic androids, created by The Order for one purpose: peace across the universe."

Halberd shared his theory that the only thing that stands between the androids and their directive is unity.

"Oh, I get it. You're working for her, aren't you?" said Amperes.

"We need to get back to Notably Small Island. The Million are going to attempt to invade again," said Bolster.

"I will offer you my assistance. This planet is more useful than it appears. Especially for our directive," said Halberd.

Halberd led them to the mechanical bird's nest, and formally acquainted them with Selma, the Mechanical Falcon. He fitted her with a saddle that appeared to have a small carriage fused to the top of it. It appeared to have been designed specifically for the bird's back, which had a plate that could be removed to reveal a compartment that the saddle could be fastened to.

Amperes and Bolster marvelled at the sight briefly, until it was time for them to step inside the carriage, sit down, and fasten their seatbelts. Selma walked to the designated takeoff location, and Halberd proceeded to lecture the other two on standard procedure; most of which went over their heads.

On the SS Psychic, Brandon Black was sunbathing when he was greeted by James and crew; the former greeting him with a 'good morning'. He thanked them for allowing him to sleep aboard their ship. James asked if he was ready to share his story, and added that he would not judge it for being hard to believe. Brandon said that he would give it some thought.

James accepted that answer, and decided to move on. This mystery is starting to unravel, thought James. Then a thought entered his head, and so he decided he should ask.

"Say, do you know why you were abducted?" asked James to Cameron and Milangelo.

"I think the turquoise-skinned alien with the backwards arms under his regular arms said something about the planet being his, so I'd say invasion."

"If what you say is true, I'm not sure there is much we can do."

"Actually, there might be," said Brandon Black.

"Are you serious?" said Cameron.

"This town was once used to defeat The Million. There may be some weapons that we can make use of."