THIRTY-SEVEN

"Happy birthday, sweetheart." My father said kissing the top of my head after I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen sitting at the table where Embry was already eating his breakfast. "I hope you have a good day at school. Then after-school, we'll go Port Angeles and get some dinner before going to the pier. Sound good?" He planned I nodded my head as Embry ruffled my hair. Groaning at him in response he laughed as he shrugged.

"Happy birthday, Leigh," Embry says with a smile. Embry stood up grabbing his school bag from the living room and walking back into the kitchen. "C'mon munchkin, Uncle Quil is going to take us to school. Bye dad, tell mom bye for us." Embry called over his shoulder walking out the front door as a horn was honked.

"Bye dad," I shouted running out of the house and over to Uncle Quil's pickup truck. "Morning Uncle Quil," I said climbing into the cab of his truck. "What's up, knucklehead?" I say as I punch Quills in the shoulder causing him to let out a light laugh as Uncle Quil pulled out of mine and Embry's driveway.

"Good morning to you too, by the way, happy birthday Bentleigh."

"So what are you doing today after school for your birthday?" Uncle Quil questions looking down at me before turning his attention back to the road.

"Dad is taking us to the pier in Port Angeles. He said there's something he's got planned." I responded with a smile and a small nod.

The school day had come to an end as I and Embry walked out of the main building and out to the parking lot. Looking around, we saw dad's car sitting out front. We looked at one another before taking off in a dash towards the car. We opened the door and climbed into the car looking over at dad. We gave him excited ear to ear grins as he looked down at us.

"You two ready to have some fun tonight?" He asks with a wide smile.

"Is mom not coming with us?" Embry speaks up giving dad an unhappy expression.

"Not tonight, she's not feeling well so she's staying home. But she said she'll take you out to do something for you when she feels better."

"Okay, I guess so," I said looking out the window as dad drove out of the parking lot and onto the highway.

When we got to the pier in Port Angeles Embry and I got out of the car in a hurry making dad laugh at us as he hurried to catch up with us. Once we got onto the boardwalk I held onto dad's hand. After walking around and riding rides, dad stopped dead in his tracks making me come to a halting stop. Looking up at him I saw as he gave me sad eyes. Embry walked over next to me and looked up at dad with a curious expression.

"Something wrong, dad? Why aren't we going?" Embry questioned him.

"Well, I've got to tell you the reason your mother didn't come out with us today."

"You said she was sick. Is she not?" Embry asked once more.

"No, not really. Your mother and I aren't going to be together anymore. You'll just be living with your mother and I'm going to be moving to Vancouver. I'ver got friends and family up there." Dad said looking between the two of us.