Chapter 32

Just like I had promised him, as soon as the bell rang for lunchtime, I allowed Zayn to pull me into  an empty classroom, lock the door and feed from me. He had been gentle and careful not to get blood on my school shirt. His lips had lingered for a minute too long before he had thanked me and healed the wound. I'd watched in fascination as the dark bags under his tired eyes vanished from sight. His powers still fascinated yet terrified me.

When school ended, I ran as fast I could to the shops, trying to find something to buy him for his birthday. He had no idea that I knew, so I was hoping to use the element of surprise on him the next morning. I bought him a card which read 'Happy Birthday' across the front in a bold font. I wasn't sure what else to get him; a card wasn't enough after he had bought us tickets to go to Paris. As I made my way through the clothing aisles, I pondered the idea of buying him a Gothic T-shirt with a vampire on the front but finally decided it wasn't very appropriate, even if it was only for a joke. He most likely wouldn't have found it humorous. Thinking of all the Summery clothing he had also gave me at Christmas, I decided to return the favour, and so I picked out some shorts and T-shirts he might have liked. Just before I left to buy the items, I threw some sun-cream into my basket.

***

The next morning, I woke up early, just after six in the morning. My family were still asleep, so it was the perfect opportunity to sneak out without being interrogated. My mother liked to know where I was going a lot of the time.

Once I was showered and dressed, I made my way downstairs with Zayn's presents under one arm and my bag in the other. I carefully unlocked the door and closed it behind me, so I wouldn't wake anyone. I crossed the road over to Zayn's house and opened the front door without knocking. I knew that he trusted me enough to let myself in, and so I done just that. Besides, he never locked his home anyway.

I made my way into the living room where I saw Harry sleeping on the couch, with one of his crime books open across his chest. One of his hands was behind his head and the other was lying limply off the side of the couch. He was snoring quietly.

I tip-toed my way up the stairs, hoping his sensitive hearing wouldn't pick up my noises as I made my way to Zayn's room. I knew that Zayn would still be asleep - I'd quickly learned he was a lover of siestas. I carefully pushed the door to his room open and peered inside, wondering if the slightly creaky door had awakened him from his slumber. It hadn't. He was lying face-down on his bed, the covers draped over his waist, his bare back showing.

I felt my cheeks burn at the sight of him, asleep and completely vulnerable. He looked so much more peaceful and younger while he was sleeping, as if his two hundred years hadn't caught up to him yet. I cleared my throat and knocked on the cabinet to my left, trying to wake him. He remained motionless.

"Zayn?" I called out, "Are you awake yet?" For all I knew, he could have been messing with me, just pretending. "Zayn?" I tried again, but when he didn't budge, I let out a sigh and made my way over to him, carefully placing the quickly-wrapped present on the bottom of the bed before jumping up beside him. I kicked a leg over his waist so I was straddling him and I tapped his back with my finger tips.

"Urgh," I heard being muttered into the pillows and I grinned. Ever so slowly, he lifted his head from the pillow and let out a yawn. "Harry..." he started, his voice croaky, "I really hope that's not you."

I laughed at his comment, "It's Laura."

He let out a throaty chuckle before resting his head back down on the pillows, "Good morning," he mumbled. I realised he had no intention of getting up, so I pulled the covers back and got in beside him, keeping my eyes on his face. I didn't even know if he was clothed below. Zayn turned his head the other way to face me, his hair messy and eyes still closed.