Chapter 16

"I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THAT you just left me there!" Marielle screeched as she paced back and forth across my room, scowling me at every time we made eye contact. She made sure to keep that to a minimum. "I was so fucking worried about you! You could have been killed by that psycho that's running around out there! Even I could have been killed! I was left stranded until I phoned my mum to come and pick me up. Do you have any idea how much I want to slap you?!"

I sat there, wide eyed at her sudden outburst, trying not to laugh as the vein in her forehead stuck out like a sore thumb. Sophie was sitting beside me, completely silent but I could tell she was also having a hard time trying to keep quiet. Marielle couldn't be taken seriously when she was angry. She hardly ever got angry, but when she did it was like a joke.

"Look, I said I was sorry about a hundred times, May. Can't we just leave it?" I asked, frowning as she narrowed her eyes at me. Clearly, I should have kept my mouth shut.

"Just leave it?!" she gasped. "You had me panicking like hell, Laura! You just disappeared!"

"I told you that I was going to the bathroom." I argued.

"Yeah, and you failed to mention that you were never to return!" Marielle said, running a hand through her hair in annoyance. I lowered my gaze to the bags that she had been kind enough to bring over, my Halloween costume sitting folded neatly at the bottom along with the other few things to go along with the vampire themed gown.

"I went to get some fresh air outside and I . . . bumped into someone." I said. My friends looked at me curiously, pondering the word 'friend'. That's when I remembered that I hadn't mentioned anything about the previous day to them - nothing at all. I guessed that they would be finding out today, it was obvious that they were going to bug me about what had happened until I finally gave in.

"And who was this 'friend'?" Sophie asked, nudging my shoulder ever so slightly. I felt a blush colour my cheeks and a small smirk appeared on my face as an image of Zayn flashed through my mind.

"Zayn happened to be in the neighbourhood." I said, with a small shrug.

"Oh, my God, May! She's blushing!" Sophie said as she pinched my cheek with her thumb and fore finger. I brushed her off and looked back up at Marielle, wondering how she would take the news. Marielle still wasn't that fond of Zayn, refusing to see the wonders that everyone else saw in him. I was just waiting for her to rub in the fact that she had been right about me falling for him.

"What happened then?" Marielle asked, walking over to me slowly. She sat down on the opposite side of me and crossed her legs as she waited for me to answer her. I wondered just how much I should have told them. I was positive that if I mentioned the part about where we had kissed, that it would spark some insane reaction from the both of them.

"Well, he saw me outside and he said I didn't look too well. Then he offered to take me home and I agreed." I said with a small shrug. When they didn't say anything, I continued. "Then I fell asleep in his car an-"

"He has a car?" Marielle asked, an eyebrow raised. Just like myself, she hadn't been expecting Zayn to have one. Clearly, Sophie didn't either as she started to giggle beside me like a two year old.