Chapter 22: The Promised Planet

Start from the beginning

"Hazel, I–"

"Hush, now. I'm Hazel Berne, and you're Phe Tyler. And I can't imagine a better life than the one in which we are together."

"I gotta admit, you're a lot better at this than I am."

Without much else to be said, they both left Clastron that day, in Hazel's home-made rocket. As they left the planet's atmosphere, they tuned in to their watches, and listened to the doomsday report as the signal began to fade.

"Two more hours... planet's hollow centre... say goodbye... loved ones... turtleshell planet... the end of our history." The report continued like this as Phe and Hazel cuddled and watched their home get farther and farther away. Eventually, they bore witness to their planet's destruction. Hazel looked away, closed her eyes and curled up on Phe's chest.

Phe closed his eyes as well, as a tear rolled down from his rightmost eye and he began to feel the weight of complete homelessness.

The years passed by, and they had nothing but their own company. One night, they practiced levels of intimacy too graphic to narrate, and they later discovered that Hazel was pregnant. It was then that Phe decided that they needed to find a new planet. Hazel was flattered by Phe's dedication, and so agreed that they would find somewhere to settle down and raise a family.

A few months later, and they came across a travelling fleet. This was the mobile home of a species known as The Order. They were given permission to ride aboard the mothership, and speak with the captain.

"I am willing to offer you a place to call your own, free of charge," she said. "We of The Order pride ourselves on good will and kindness. For example, our new android program is set to make the universe a safer and more productive place. Meet our prototype, Amperes."

Amperes greeted them and showed them to their guest rooms. "Someday, I wish to be as organic as the two of you. Happiness, anger, regret, love, sadness... I can feel none of them. Nothing but the simulated pain of being programmed to feel alive, but to also live with the knowledge that I am not, and that I am incomplete."

"Hey, buddy, if they ever do finish you, come by our planet for a visit," said Phe.

"That would be as according to the definition of the words pleasant, nice, enjoyable, and their synonyms."

Amperes left without any further words, and the couple lay down in bed and went to sleep.

A few weeks later, and The Order had found a suitable planet for Phe and Hazel. As agreed, they supplied Phe and Hazel with the necessary facilities as to live out the rest of their lives peacefully on that planet, and never have to worry about meteor strikes or things of a similar nature.

The years passed, and Phe enjoyed a fulfilling life with Hazel by his side, and their four children. He was celebrating his youngest son's twenty-fourth birthday, when tragedy struck. It was something The Order had not prepared for, and could not even if they wanted to, an agent of The Chaos had arrived to carry out his mission. The aim was to abduct Phe Tyler and kill anyone who stood in the way or bore witness.

This led to the death of everyone that lived there, as it was a close-knit community, and not a single person wanted Phe to be abducted. The mission was a success, but the price took its toll on Phe, who began to despair. Again, he thought. I've lost everyone again.

He would black out and then come to in an interrogation room.

"You're a person of interest, Phe Tyler. The Chaos has all sorts of weapons in its arsenal. Do you know about a favourite of mine?" began a tall, intimidating man. "It's this cannon that creates and launches meteors. The Chaos uses it to destroy any planet that it finds to be... an eyesore. Frankly, I can't think of a single reason why a turtleshell planet exists."