Secrets

"Ich. Blaire, there is a reason why we don't go out in the streets at six in the morning." Ivan snorted.

"Why? To sleep in?"

"You could get mobbed."

"Um.... There aren't that many people."

"You could get robbed."

"Maybe?"

"Do not trust man, Ivan. Humans will inherently run on instinct the moment they sense danger."

"Still..... I don't think we will get robbed."

"Do explain." Ivan rubbed his head as Blaire scanned the buildings. Cora crossed her arms, green eyes roving the streets beneath black sunglasses.

"There's at least ten people in sight. There's also cameras around the buildings and I am a black belt. Also, because you're you, you probably brought a small collection of weapons that puts a professional arsonist to shame."

"I've already talked about the first one. Cameras hardly deter the common robber. Furthermore, Blaire and I have no idea exactly how you even got that considering the fact that you couldn't even hold your own against Blaire when we were teenagers."

"Rock climbing. Photography does that for you."

"Hm, sufficient, I suppose. I did bring a fair amount of stuff. However, I would prefer not to reveal my more drastic ones unless it's a true life or death situation, which is what we're trying to avoid."

"We're here," Blaire interrupted. Cora and Ivan turned. Cora took off her sunglasses, narrowing her eyes at the building.

"How.....chic."

"You knew the address but you never visited."

"I was going to," she shot back. "But you were already going. If there was anything bad, you would tell me."

"I only looked outside!"

"Do I look like I want to go in there?"

"You would hold your own in there."

"Thank you. But now is not the time for compliments." Blaire pushed open the revolving doors. She walked into the neat lobby, heading straight into the elevator. Ivan smacked into the door as Cora breezed past, sighing. She grabbed his jacket, dragging him inside.

"Madame," the receptionist called. He ran around his desk, tapping Blaire on the shoulder. She blinked, turning to him.

"Yes?"

"Why are you here?" He asked.

"Tsk. Does ant non-residential person need a reason to come here?" She asked, sharply. The man ducked his head.

"Policy, Madame." Cora opened her mouth. Ivan stepped in front of her.

"We believe her husband was cheating," he said. Blaire gasped as Cora stepped away, venom in her eyes. The man paled.

"Can we go now?" Blaire asked. She desperately looked at the old man. Cora took a step forward, heels clapping against the floor. The man glanced nervously between the two women.

"Y-yes. Of course. Do you need help finding the man?"

"No. We are perfectly fine," Cora said in a clipped tone. The elevator opened.

****

Blaire stared at the white door. She glanced at the brass address glued to the top. 398. Ivan peered at the door. Cora frowned at Blaire.

"Well? Are you going to open it?" Blaire's hands shook as she slowly grasped the handle, pulling it open. It stayed.

"It's locked," she murmured.