Clues

Hello everyone!
Summer has been awesome for me. :) Sorry for not updating last week. Anyways, after this, I plan to release a chapter a day! What do you think?
Lotte slapped the file on the table.

"You found it?" He asked. Lotte grinned. Matteo tilted his head. The sun streamed through large windows as birds chirped in the early morning.

"More than that. Did you know, Pierre Dantés is married to Adelina Agani, who happens to be one of two heiresses for Amber?" Matteo blinked.

"Dantés owns shares doesn't he."

"25%."

"Gaining?"

"Maybe. I have yet to look through the Amber records."

"Is he siphoning anything from the Louvre?"

"No. He loves art."

"Did he marry his wife because of the shares?"

"Unlikely. The company was worth less than his own family's modest fortune. If anything, it's more likely that he just decided to help out his wife."

"Alright." Matteo stared at the table. Lotte frowned.

"Something wrong?" Matteo took a deep breath.

"Raphael called." Lotte sat down.

"What did he say?"

"After this case is done, they want me to visit them. They have someone they want me to meet." Lotte wrinkled her nose.

"A girl?"

"Yeah."

"Odd. My parents want me to meet someone too. They just called a few hours ago." Matteo put his chin on the cool metal table. Lotte opened the fridge.

"Why?"

"Probably because I broke up with the last guy a few days ago." She grabbed yogurt.

"Are you going to find another one?" Lotte spooned the yogurt into her mouth. Her nose wrinkled.

"No. I'm tired of dating. You?" Matteo shrugged.

"Maybe. If only to get my parents to stop introducing me to any girl they meet. They tried to get me to date our waitress last time." Lotte stifled a laugh. She delicately wiped her mouth.

"You missed a spot." Matteo leaned forward, wiping the yogurt off her pale face. Lotte blinked.

"Matteo."

"Yeah?"

"Why don't we just hire a boyfriend and a girlfriend? It's popular in China from what I hear." Matteo covered his face as he leaned back.

"That's so much work." He stopped massaging his face. "Why don't we just pose as boyfriend and girlfriend?" Lotte coughed.

"You know we're the players, right?"

"Yeah. It could bring closure, though. Our families are well acquainted with each other and we already know a fair amount about each other." She stopped at his face. She tilted her head.

"Wait. Do you think we would fall in love?" Matteo exploded into a coughing fit. Lotte frowned.

"I would find it rather surprising." Matteo paled.

"Really?"

"Mhm. I will admit, you are attractive and you are quite smart. But I look at you as a friend above all else. A confidant and partner." Matteo stared at his lap.