A Kiss

Hey everyone!

I apologize for updating so late these days. I've been busy with a bunch of other stuff. Anyways, I hope you guys like this chapter (definitely one of my favorites) and please comment and vote!

Blaire stared blankly at the ceiling as Ivan brushed back her golden hair. Cora sat on the other side of her. Tears slid down her face as her dull eyes gazed at the smooth white ceiling.

Growl.

Ivan jumped up.

"Food? Do you want food?"

"Of course she wants food. You don't need a visible nod or a yes to know that." Ivan glared.

"Well, she might have no appetite." Cora glared as she rose.

"And you think that's okay? To have no food?"

"I'm just saying she's in the middle of a mourning process-"

"Well, you still need to feed her. That's hardly a good reason to skip food. Food is always important and gives you strength-"

"Buz it's not good when you want to grieve."

"Say's who?"

The argument seemed muted and distant in Blaire's ears. Her hands minutely tightened on the silk blanket over her.

Why?

What did I do?

It was my fault.

It couldn't have been anyone else.

Was I too curious? Maybe. Maybe I should have sat and smiled and never asked questions. That would be nice, right? Then Jason would be here next to me. And we would have sat together and be eating breakfast. Then we would both go to work and come back.

I shouldn't have asked. It's too late now.

He's gone.

*****

"Wake up!" A rough shake. Blaire slowly opened her eyes.

It can't be...

"Blaire, get up." Blaire was roughly pulled up by a golden tan arm. A tear slid down her face.

"Marie," she breathed.

*****

"What happened to her older sister?" Matteo pulled out a piece of paper.

"Died."

"I know that. Can you be more specific?" Matteo chewed on a breadstick. His eyebrows furrowed.

"Hit by a car." Lotte face slackened for a moment.

"Was the driver drunk?"

"They never found him."

"So a Hit and Run."

"Not really. A criminal was threatening the father to hand over 40 million or else. The police caught the guy but after Marie's death, her parents suspected that he was working with other people."

"Any witnesses?" Matteo looked down.

He choked on his breadstick.

"Ach, ach, ach," he coughed. Lotte stood up, eyes wide. She ran over, aiming a precise smack at his broad back. He spit out the piece of bread, breathing heavily. Lotte bent down on her knees.

"Matteo?" He coughed. She handed him a bottle of water. Matteo swigged it, Adam's apple moving. Lotte's eyes glazed. She shook her head.

"Matteo?"