Alfred

He actually read books? Ones over a half an inch thick? What the hell?

"B-But I keep video games on my bookshelves! Not books! How much do you read? Are you like, a nerd or something like that? One of those geniuses?", I stuttered, dumbfounded. He still gave me this weird looks and answered like I tried to prove aliens were fake. They are very real creatures, trust me.

"Alfred, are you telling me that you don't like to read? I have these on here because I have read them, and I enjoy reading. Don't people in America enjoy reading too?"

"Mostly we just hang out, get drunk, and play video games. I mean, some of the super smart people actually like to read, but what's so fun about random letters on a piece of paper that don't mean anything, right?"

"But reading... Oh, I'm not going to bother with you. You Americans are so stubborn."

Him calling me stubborn was like an insult, and I playfully pouted in response. He shrugged in frustration at my foolishness towards reading and got up. He got a bit closer to me, my eyes avoiding his face again. I was getting used to it, not looking at him.

"Why do you do that, Alfred?", he asked.

"What?"

"You always look at people when you talk to them, I've seen it when you've talked before today. Just not me. Why is that?"

Fuck. What should I tell him? I didn't even know why. He just made me... nervous. I felt my face get only a little warm and I answered, "I dunno. I just don't I guess. That's really trivial..." He backed up. "Oh, I was just wondering. Because its rather odd, I've never seen a person's eyes dart everywhere and anywhere like yours do..."

An awkward silence followed.

A very awkward silence. I kept my eyes down. I tried to quell the feeling I got, but decided it was useless as I was only trying to in order to convince myself that I didn't like it. When I did.

I sighed out loud and got up. "Yo, British dude, where's your bathroom?"

He pointed at the door. "To the right, door at the very end."