Alfred

My first delivery had been a success. It had been to a nice couple and their three kids. I had now gotten an order of a medium cheese pizza and breadsticks from another employee named Francis. The address looked familiar. It took me a while but I realized that it was on the same street as the cafe I was at earlier. Thinking about the cafe reminded me that I didn't quite get that guy's name. I carried the box into the car and put it on the passenger seat, which was uncomfortably on the left side in Europe.

I drove past the cafe and about two or three blocks when the mailbox I was almost passing read the correct number. I knew this would probably be my last delivery for the day. We weren't that busy, and we were closing early due to lack of workers or something.

I carried the warm box up to the front door and rang the doorbell. I waited, hoping they were home. I only realized they were when a shadow moved toward the door from inside. I waited patiently for the door to open. After what seemed like forever, the front door opened and I got that weird, tingly feeling all through me again. There stood the short guy from earlier at the cafe. He stared at me with an expression on his face and then asked, "Alfred?"

I was almost shocked he remembered my name. And when he said it, my breath got caught in my throat as I nodded and said, "Y-yeah, it's me. What's your name, I didn't ask you back at the cafe." What was happening to me? Why was I suddenly nervous? His face slightly red, he told me, "Arthur. And are those..." He pointed to the two boxes in my arms.

Glad to be distracted, I told him, "Yeah, dude, these are yours. That's fifteen bucks, or euros... or whatever the hell you guys use over here." He nodded without speaking and took the boxes from me. "Thank you, Alfred. Here is the money.", he said pulling said money out of his shorts pocket. I took it and put it where it supposed to go, although I was very tempted to just slip it in my own pocket.

I needed to get to know this guy better. He was the only British guy I had met so far that was nice to me. "Hey," I got his attention. He looked up at me. "Uh, maybe, you could come down to my work when I'm off for a slice sometime." I scratched the back of my head nervously. Why was I still anxious? Arthur's face brightened up a bit and he pulled out his phone. "Sure. What's your number? I'll text you later." I gave him my number and let out a deep breath when he closed the door.

I stumbled back to my car and let out another breath when I got in. The fluttering still lingered in my system, and I kind of liked it. I turned one last corner, and then stopped in front of the pizza place.