F O R T Y - F O U R

Start from the beginning

"I really thought Archie cared about me, but I was wrong." He finishes in a whisper.

"But you have me?"

"Do I? Because you've let me down so many times and I just crawl right back to you because I love you and I believe that you're a good person, but you somehow let me down again and I start feeling like an idiot."

"I won't let you down this time, I promise."

"Okay dad."

***

"Hey." Reggie smiles as he comes up to Archie's locker the next day. The two are still good friends, although both of them don't know why the other is avoiding Jughead. It's sad really, because they both feel guilty as hell but they refuse to fix it.

Do they not realize how much it's affecting Jughead?

"Hey, what's up?" Archie shrugs before closing his locker.

"Pop's after school?"

"Okay."

The school door at the end of the hall opens, and in walks Jughead who is trying his best to keep his eyes on the ground. He has to walk past Archie's locker to go to class, it's unavoidable and he hates it.

Both Archie and Reggie stare at him as he walks past.

He looks a wreck.

You can tell he hasn't been sleeping, and Archie is guessing he isn't eating much since Jughead will rarely eat when something's on his mind.

"Jughead." Reggie calls out, causing his tired, dull ocean eyes to snap up.

"Yeah?"

"Can you switch your seat with my friend in sex Ed. today?"

"Okay, no problem." Jughead practically whispers before continuing his journey to class.

If anyone would have asked him that, say six months ago? He wouldn't have been so compliant. He would've been sassy and witty and strong, but Jughead doesn't want to be strong anymore.

He gives up.

"That was kind of a díck thing to do." Archie mumbles.

"You ignoring him and acting like he doesn't exist when you were his best friend is what a díck thing to do is."

"Why are you even ignoring him anyway?" Archie scoffs.

"He never told you?" Reggie blushes.

"Told me what?" Archie furrows his eyebrows.

"Huh, interesting." Now he feels even more guilty.

Why did he ever thing Jughead would tell in the first place?

"What aren't you both telling me?"

"Nothing. Why are you ignoring him?"