“A t-rex!” The little girl shouted. She was absolutely adorable as she jumped up and down, oblivious to Lydia’s growing irritation. Her light blonde pigtails moved with her, and a bright smile painted her a happy shade of sunny yellow.

            She was a damn cute kid.

            “A t-rex is no-“

            “Emma, do you have any pets?” I interjected, trying as hard as I could not to bust out laughing at the murderous expression Lydia had now aimed my way.

            “Yeah! I have a turtle and a puppy!” Emma’s smile only widened farther, her little kid eyes now trained on me.

            “Really? You have a turtle and a puppy?” I smirked, trying not to focus on Lydia’s dropped jaw. Emma was walking towards me now, completely disregarding Lydia.

            “Yeah, the turtle smells bad and he’s my brother’s, but Maggie is mine!” Emma squealed, positioning herself between myself and Lydia.

            “Oh? I love puppies too. Did you want to tell Lydia the animals you have, love? She’s just curious.” I pulled the knees of my black jeans up, crouching down to match height with the blue-eyed child.

            “Puppies!” Emma turned around, holding her hands over her head as Lydia finally cracked a smile and gave me an exaggerated expression of annoyance.

            “Here’s your lollipop kid.” Lydia was trying to hold calm, but I could see her eyes squinting at the sides. She was as enchanted with the little girl as I was, watching her run off to her mom with a soft sort of half smile.

            “You look great?” I offered, clapping my hands together in laughter when I caught sight of a choice finger making a solo appearance.

            “Shut the hell up, I’m going to go change and you stay there.” Lydia stood up, and before I knew it she was already heading to the nearest building. Her floppy hat sliding precariously atop her mountain of hair.

            It took less than five minutes for Lydia to return, and I was in shock at the transformation. She wasn’t wearing the grungy, loose fitting clothes, her hair stuffed inside a hat. No, now she was in a pair of tight fitting, dark jeans, rolled up only to create room for her always present teal, high-top converse. I wanted to wrap my arms around her and snuggle her close in the dark gray knit, pullover. I was quite obviously checking her out, more than surprised that I had never seen her in jeans or long sleeves before.

            The weather was quickly changing. The leaves already brilliant hues, and I reveled in the fact that I had been here quite a fair amount longer than it felt. It was so nice to have most of my day occupied with someone I enjoyed spending time with, and I was pushing the thought of taking her into my world to the back of my mind.

            “We’re going to Bio lecture, it’s maybe a five minute walk if you’re slow. Don’t worry though, the class only lasts forty-five minutes most days.” Lydia was already picking up the pace, leading me onto her turf now. She looked like a college kid, I had always sort of forgot that she attended the school. Only seeing her outside of it, but her worn out leather backpack proved me wrong. She looked so in her element, passing all sorts of people and smiling or calling back a sarcastic dig.

            Lydia was absolutely hilarious, and I could only focus on that as we made our way through the various sidewalks and ornately designed buildings. It was by no means a big campus, but it was so prestigious that I think that almost made it look bigger.