//1//

Lydia’s P.O.V

I shoved my dirt sodden converse even farther into the soil, avoiding all eye contact with the ridiculously demanding human being standing in front of me.

            “Why won’t you just apply, Lydia?” Cindy continued to pester me, her sun-bleached brown hair flying about her head in the slight breeze.

I continued to retreat from the concrete path onto the patchy Earth quietly, hoping that she of all people would understand that this was her cue to give me some space. Cindy’s bright eyes were alight with a certain form of motherly disapproval though, so as I shoved my shoe back into the soft path I realized I would not be let off the hook this time.

            “I told you I didn’t want to apply, so I didn’t apply. Now you’re surprised that I didn’t apply when I already announced that I didn’t want to apply which is why I didn’t.” I nervously fidgeted with my necklace, scratching the surface repeatedly and trying to hold onto the ounce of patience I still possessed.

            “I understand that you weren’t planning on applying you silly girl, I just don’t know why?” Cindy twisted her hair in her hand, a habit she did only when she was out of reasons to pester someone.

            “I wasn’t interested,” I answered her calmly. Not daring to meet her eyes and see the disappointment etched into them, however annoying Cindy could become she was still one of the most nurturing people I’d ever met.

            “Bullshit you weren’t interested Lydia, you’ve been interested in this-“ I watched her hands flail around her, motioning around the Zoo as if she could encompass it in her arms and hold it as close to her heart as she pleased- “your entire life. You have two months left to accept the offer and apply for the position, I trust you won’t let me down.” Cindy finished with a tone of finality and I finally looked up, meeting her gray eyes with my own green ones.

            “I won’t let myself down.” I corrected her, keeping my gaze strong and my jaw clenched even though I felt like my insides would spill out of me at any moment and I’d become a screaming bottle of unleashed impatience.

            Cindy opened her mouth at my comment and then snapped it shut, as if she was about to refute my logic once more but decided it was a moot point anyways.

            “Alright Lydia.” She shrugged defeated, turning on her heel to walk away.

            Smart woman.

            I waited for her standard issue lace-up boots to disappear on the fenced in horizon before I turned around and continued my short walk to the Mammalia exhibit. The wet ground making a welcome squelching noise underneath my feet, as I finally let go of the breath I’d been holding in and smiled giddily.

            No tours today.

            No speaking to small children I was bound to upset.

            No explaining the definition of extinct until I was blue in the face.

Just me,

Dirt,

And Nora.