Chapter 13

It was the scream that brought him out of the trance. It was distinctly Safia’s. He ran in the direction, not pausing to wonder where he was, why he was so cold and scared, or why it was so dark. He ran with one thought. Save Safia.

 The body vanished, and she was left sobbing, alone in the middle of a maze. All alone. He had broken her, in the end. She had thought she was protected. She had conquered her fear. But she forgot. Metus wasn’t just fear. He was a living nightmare.

 Matthew ran. He didn’t notice the cold, or the dark, the doors and the bodiless whispers. Just the scream, which seemed to echo in his mind. Or maybe it really did echo. Perhaps Metus let it, to be a warning to others who disobey fear itself.

 What was the point? She wondered ,as her eyes dried, intrying to defeat Metus. It won’t bring him back. Or her mother. I barely knew her. What was the point in fighting for justice, if you lose so much? Was there even a point? Maybe it was all pointless. An endless cycle, with no end or beginning. A futile attempt. Is this it? She wondered. What is there to fight for?

I need proof! What is there left to fight for? Give me a sign!

“Safia?” a voice asked behind her.