Chapter 10

“Well…I guess that ends your friendship.” Matthew said, a few hours south of the town. They had stopped for a short break. Safia turned to face him, tilting her head curiously.

“What do you mean?”

“That man…James was it? You two had a serious fight.”

“Oh, we’ve had worse… I think. He just worries too much.” She smiled fondly.  Matthew waited.

“Soo…” he said, after a long pause. Safia’s head snapped up immediately, fixing her bright green eyes on his face. “I guess that means we’re going after the Nightmare League?”

“No.” She said turning away from him.

“What do you mean ‘no’? Are you saying that argument was pointless?”

“No, I mean we’re not going after the Nightmare League. I am.”

“Wait, what?” he exclaimed. “No, we’re in this together.” 

Safia just tilted her head curiously. “When did that happen?” she asked. “I don’t remember signing anything that says I have to take care of you. Where I’m going is far too dangerous for a sixteen year old boy. I don’t owe you anything.” She said the last word slowly. “This is probably just another game to you. Magic. Powers to control the elements. Good and Evil. It isn’t that simple, Matthew. It never is.” She paused for a second, gazing out to the distance once more. “I’ll give you some supplies. You can head back to the village, the one Kitty’s from. They’ll take care of you until I come back.” Safia turned, and began placing things in her horse’s saddle. She then grabbed the reins and began to lead it away.

“Wait!” Matthew yelled. “You owe me! I saved your life!”

“I’d never had needed your help if you hadn’t distracted me! You didn’t save my life…” she said, looking directly at him, “you almost ended it!” and with that she lifted herself onto her horse and rode away, leaving behind a very hurt and confused Matthew.

 Safia closed her eyes, wishing for strength. He had left her no choice, she reminded herself. It was the only way to keep him safe.  But she couldn’t get his horrified expression out of her mind.  She hoped he would forgive her. If she survived. Then she put it out of her mind as she rode towards her next challenge. Metus.  Fear.