Chapter 24: Friendship Comes in Different Forms

“I know you.  Cerina….I”, I choked out. I am under water but I can tell I am crying.

“Juvia, don’t cry, I’m happy that you remembered about me. Even if I am so happy to see you again, I can’t let you pass here. I don’t care if you hate me for stopping you, but its better that you hate me if it means you’re going to live than let you pass here just to let you die. Please go back to where you came from, to where it’s peaceful.”, Cerina said.

“Cerina, I appreciate your concern towards me, but this is what I want. I saved you from those fishermen because you’re special, until now you are still so special Cerina. I know you wanted me to turn back but you must also figure out that the Dark Lord already knows I’m alive, whether or not I pass here, I would still be haunted by him and my past. Please let us pass. There are so many questions left unanswered and I want to figure them out. Those three people above us are the ones who helped me along the way. You are my friend Cerina and you will be until I die. Preventing me to pass here will only delay the Dark Lord’s plan in killing me”, I said comforting Cerina, assuring her that I can do this.

“Juvia, I….I can’t. When Extalia was destroyed and when I heard that you survived, I promised I would not let you go back when there comes a time that we meet again. This is the time I am worrying to happen, when you decided to go back here. Please Juvia, I beg you, don’t insist on passing here. I promised myself and…..”, Cerina stopped mid-sentence.

“And what?”, I asked. She was about to say something but she stopped. Did she remembered something she shouldn’t tell? She looked like she stepped on something forbidden.

“No….nothing, anyways. You really must not pass Lake Luna”, Cerina insisted.

“Cerina, remember the time when you wanted to pass the border of Lake Luna because you wanted to see the ocean?”, I said smiling to her.

“I…Alright I’ll let you pass Lake Luna, Juvia. I will break my vow just this once.  I will personally take you there. Once you reached Extalia please be careful”, Cerina said.

“Of course, when everything is over, you will come with me right? After all, we’re friends”, I said giving her a smile.

Cerina made a very bright smile, a smile which shines like the sun. Even under water, I can tell, she was like a radiant sun.

She brought me to the surface of the water and there I saw Rito and the others. The water has stopped raging wild waves.

“Juvia! Are you okay?”, Rito shouted.

“Sister!”, Lucy seconded.

“Who is that? What is that? A Mermaid?”, Ryo asked.

“Well, yeah sort of”, I said sheepishly.

“Woah, so beautiful. Sister she’s very pretty”, Lucy said mesmerized by Cerina’s unique being.

“Everyone, this is Cerina, she’s the guardian of Lake Luna and my very very special and dearest friend back when I was littler. Cerina, I would like you to meet Lucy, Ryo and….”, I was cut-off mid-sentence because of Cerina’s reaction. She looked so shocked to see one person I wasn’t able to introduce. “What’s wrong Cerina?”, I asked.

“Eh? Oh, nothing. I was just taken by surprise by your friends”, Cerina said. Oh right, Juvia, you should sit on the boat now, I will guide you to Extalia”

I sat on the boat and waited as Cerina raised both her hands up and the waters waved lightly at the Lake. As Cerina is doing this, a land can be seen not far from where we are. She must have created an illusion so that no one may know Extalia’s existence through time.

“I guess this is the farthest I could guide you. Please take care of yourselves”, Cerina said then turned towards Rito. She whispered something in Rito’s ear in which I can’t comprehend, but it seems like she told him something important.

Rito just smiled at her and Cerina just smiled in return while waving us goodbye.

What I didn’t know is that Cerina whispered to Rito: You look like very responsible, I want to entrust Juvia’s safety to you. I know you can protect her, you always watched over her, you always did, and always will.

Cerina’s POV

Juvia, many obstacles will come in your way starting from today, but I know, that person will definitely helped you out”, I said as I look at their boat rowing farther.

“Oh, I see she managed to get back to that pathetic place”, I heard a voice; it was a female’s voice.

“Who goes there?!” I turned around to see who it is but to my surprise, I was tied up so suddenly by a rope which seems can’t be broken so easily. I tried struggling and using water magic but it’s useless. I can’t cut it.

“Oh don’t struggle Fishy, if you struggle you’ll get hurt. Water will not help you either”, the female said. I can’t understand, she can walk on water and she’s strong too.

“Who are you? What business do you have with Juvia and Extalia?” I asked the female, struggling harder.

‘You are annoying Fishy. I warned you”, as soon as she said it, flames covered the ropes hurting the part that it holds. I feel hot and burning.

“AHHHHHHHH!!!!”, I shouted. There’s water all over the place but it can’t make the fire go away.

“Sorry Fishy, you’re very stubborn, Master has no need of you. As a farewell gift, I’ll tell you who I am. I’m Shana, and I play with fire. Fire will also play with you”, she said.

I can’t answer nor can I make a sound, I just feel helpless, I sank deep into the water.

End of Cerina’s POV