Chapter 23: Cerina

I found myself under water. I think it’s deep, very deep. I tried looking up to see if the boat is nearby. I can’t see it, nothing; it’s just plain blue. Water is everywhere but no fishes can be seen. Where am I? Wait, I am thinking all of this but how come I can breathe under water?

“Welcome Princess Ysabel Juvia Fernandes van Fullbuster”, I turned to see who it is.

“Who are you?”, I was taken aback from what I saw. I saw a mermaid, a mermaid indeed for it was a half woman and half fish.

“My name is Cerina. I am the guardian of Lake Luna”, she said.

“Why do you know my name? Why are you trying to stop us going in Extalia?”, I asked.

“Your memories were really erased. I am sorry; I can’t let you pass because it’s dangerous. Once you pass here, the Dark Lord will kill you. You would only cry and feel the guilt consume you once you reach your Kingdom. It was nothing but ruins so please don’t continue”, she said.

“Then why do you know me?”, I asked again.

“You may not remember, you saved me before from the fishermen of Menaloia. I don’t know why you’re there for it is far away from here. You must be in one of the Royal meetings happening in that town. The fishermen almost killed me for capturing me but you stopped them. I remember how you treated my injuries and paid them just to let me free”, she said again.

“Ce….ri….na?”, I said. I remember her!

Flashback (Third Person POV)

(Juvia was 15 here. It happened one year before the incident in Extalia)

Menaloia Port

“Look men! We caught something very precious! Worth large amount of money I think”, one of the fishermen said in delight.

The mermaid squirmed from the fishermen’s fishing net trying to make herself free.

Ooohh, that was some pretty haul you got there mate!”, another one said.

The mermaid looks very scared and was about to cry when….

“Hey, why don’t you let her free? She looks scared with all of you. Don’t capture something so beautiful under the sea”, Juvia announced. The three men eyed her with annoying look on their faces.

“And who is this brat? Oi, mind your business. Kids should stay away from older people’s business. Go back to your Mommy”, the third men said laughing. The two joined him.

“You should know when a girl doesn’t like you, you know”, Juvia exclaimed.

“Hey, this brat is really annoying. Go play somewhere else!”, the first one bursted.

“Princess, where have you been? We we’re looking all over for you, the Queen is worried”, a group of guards and maids said running towards Juvia.

“P…Princess?”, the three fishermen asked loudly.

“Oh, yes, Miss Giopette, could you ask those three fishermen if they won’t let that beautiful fish free, how much should I pay to have her?”, Juvia asked one of the maids.

The transaction was made and later that day…..

“You really are a beautiful fish. I am Juvia. I hope you can talk; I hardly get any friends like you. You’re special”, Juvia said talking to the mermaid in the sailing ship.

“I….I am Ce…Cerina. Tha…thanks for sa…saving me P…Princess”, Seria utterly said stuttering.

“Oh how cute! You can talk! Nice to meet you, Cerina. Please call me Juvia, after all, where friends!”, Juvia said holding both Cerina’s hands. The mermaid started to smile.

“F…..Friends”, the mermaid smiled.

“Yes, friends. Let’s help each other from now on okay?”, Juvia smiled.

“Yes….where are you taking me?”, Cerina asked.

“You know, Daddy owns a VERY huge lake with many fishes. I would take you there. That will be your new home”, Juvia said gesturing as she says those words.

“I…I like that”, Cerina said.

“Let’s play some time ‘kay? I’ll visit you often”, Juvia said.                    

“Okay”, Cerina said. The two talked and laugh their hearts out.

End of Flashback

“I know you. Cerina I…..”, I choked out. I am under water but I can tell I am crying.