He sees

<Lukes POV>

'What did I just do,' I'm thinking to myself as I'm walking back to class.

I had just yelled at Dakota.

'God, why am I so stupid.'

'I have all my classes with Dakota so I'll apologize then.'

~End of the day~

I haven't seen Dakota all day and I am really worried. I decide to look at the place where I found her, I make my way to the roof of the school. When I get up there I see Dakota just sitting looking out at the town.

"Dakota?" I say while rushing up to her.

She pulls her jacket sleeves down, turns to look at me, walks right past me, and heads toward her house.

'Now she has to go home and deal with her dad. I promised she could call me if she got scared and that I'd be there for her and now I'm not' I think while mentally beating myself.

I notice something on the floor where she was sitting, I walk over and find her phone and her blade. It was covered with her blood, I let a single tear go down my cheek before heading home myself. I was frustrated with myself, I knew I shouldn't have yelled at her like that but I let my frustration get the best of me.

<Dakota POV>

On my walk home, I start to feel nervous about what my dad is going to do. I start thinking about what's gonna happen, then I realize I'm at my front door. I carefully unlock it and slip right into my house, immediately smelling alcohol.

'Great he's drunk, it's going to be bad...' My thoughts are interrupted by a smack right in the face, and I already know who it's from.

He doesn't say anything he just keeps beating me with anything he can get his hands on, there was a plate, remote, beer bottle, baseball bat, my school books, and being thrown against the wall multiple times. Finally, he goes to the kitchen and the doorbell rings, without thinking I answer it and it's Luke.

"Um hey Dakota-aa, oh my god what happened," he says looking at me from head to toe.

"Nothing Luke I uh fell, why are you here." I snapped at him not noticing the blood dripping from my head. Luke's eyes double in size when he sees the blood.

"Well um, you left your phone at school so I thought I would return it, but that doesn't look like you fe..."

I cut him off.

'Well uh tha-"

My dad cuts me off.

"DAKOTA WHO THE HELL IS AT THE DOOR."

"Uh, no one dad."

My dad closes the door in Luke's face but I see his blurry figure through the glass in our door.

"I TOLD YOU NO NEW FRIENDS."

My dad grabs my phone and chucks it across the room and it shatters, glass pieces go everywhere. I start screaming and crying begging him to stop but he doesn't listen. Part of me feels embarrassed that Luke is seeing this whole thing through the glass door, but the other part of me feels no emotion toward it. 

He bent over yelling in my face, "GOD JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP STOP CRYING!"

He then leaves me lying on the cold ground, I manage to crawl up to my bedroom after I knew he was gone.

<Lukes POV>

A couple of hours later I decided to return Dakota's phone to her but throw away the blade I found with it. I walked over to her house and ring the doorbell, she opens it and she looks terrible. She has bruises everywhere and there is blood dripping from her hairline. I tell her that I was there to return her phone, and she starts to thank me but her dad comes up from behind me and closes the door. I could see him beating her through the glass door but it looked like neither of them cared I was standing right there. Dakota's dad rips the phone out of her hand and throws it against the wall causing it to shatter. 

'Oh shit.' 

I rush back into my house.

"Mom! Mom! Come here quickly!"

My mom comes running out of the kitchen and runs up to me, noticing I'm now sobbing and halfway out of breath.

"Hey what's wrong why are you crying?" She asks while leading me over to the family room where I see my dad and younger sister watching TV. They soon realize I'm crying and direct all their attention to me.

"Uh, mom can I just talk to you?" I ask kinda feeling awkward. 

She leads me out of the room.

"Hey, why did you walk into the house crying?" She asks.

"Mom I need a favor from you," I say.

"Yes, what is it?"

"I need you to buy another phone please."

"Why?"

I explain everything that's been going on with Dakota when I first met her when she told me her dad abuses her, when I yelled at her earlier today, and when I went to return her phone.

"Oh wow, Ace down the street he seemed so nice. Keeps to himself but I would have never expected he was that physical. Well, it's ok with me but you need to ask your father." She tells me.

"Ok, mom thanks."

I call my dad over and explain everything I just told my mom, and he gets very emotional.

"Luke I know you care very deeply for this girl so I am willing to get her a phone, you just have to promise me one thing."

"Yes dad anything," I say beaming at him.

"Just promise never to go off on her again she needs to earn people's trust back because what you have told me she has been through a lot, you need to be patient with her."

"I will never go off on her ever again, I promise dad."

"Well let's get that phone right now," He says dragging me out of the house and into the car.

Posting at least one more chapter tonight.