Back and forth

"Yes," Her grandpa stood up immediately.

I woke Molly up and told her to wake the others and I followed and walked toward the nurse who was holding a clipboard.

"So all of you are here for her?" He asked again once everyone had woken up.

"Yea, did everything work out?" Her uncle asked from the side of me.

He nodded his head, "There were a few complications but the surgeons were able to remove the bullet from her chest, it was about half an inch from her heart which would have been fatal."

My head was pounding and I felt nauseous every time anyone mentioned how close to dying she was.

"What about broken bones?"

He looked down at her chart, "It's listed that she has broken her tailbone, a few ribs, her right leg, and right arm."

"Is she stable?"

"They had to put her in a coma and she will have to stay that way tonight, this next week will be the hardest for her but a doctor will check in on her periodically and see what kind of changes she has made."

The nurse gave us her room number and I was the first one out of the door, all of the other adults stayed behind to ask more questions about the surgery but I couldn't wait any longer. This hospital was different from the one by my house but somehow I managed to find my way to the correct elevator. I waited for a couple of seconds before the doors opened and I pressed the floor I needed. 

"Take any longer," I muttered pressing the close door button. 

When I got to her floor I ran to the room the nurse gave me hoping I was in the right area, when I opened the door I saw her. Dakota was laying flat on the bed with tubes everywhere, they were in her; mouth, and nose, there were stickers with wires attached to her heart and little tubes that went right into her body. The rest of her body was spread out will pillows supporting some of her limbs, I walked around her bed and looked at how peaceful she was just laying there. As I was pulling a chair to her bedside the rest of her family came in, every time someone walked in there would be a gasp from a different person. 

"She doesn't look as bad," Her uncle Tommy said in the quiet room. 

It was getting later on in the night and Dakota's relatives started to say goodbye for the night. 

"Luke, what do you want to do?" My mom asked standing on the other side of Dakota's bed.

"I'm not leaving her." 

"Luke I know you want to stay here but she'll be asleep all day and tomorrow." 

I nodded my head, "I don't care, what if she wakes up." 

"Luke the doctors have her on medication that purposely puts her to sleep, they said they aren't taking it off tonight or tomorrow." 

"But what if-" 

"Luke she's stable, you're gonna wanna get some good sleep tonight maybe take a shower. Then you'll be here when she wakes up." 

"You're sure she isn't going to wake up?" 

"I promise you she will not wake up tonight." 

I nodded and got out of the chair, I looked back down at her lifeless body for a few seconds. 

"I'm going to go talk to the nurse," My mom said before leaving the room. 

I nodded running my fingers along Dakota's arm. 

"I told you that you'd be ok," I mumbled. "And now you aren't, I mean you kinda are but not what I imagined." 

I kissed her forehead before walking back out to where my mom was.