The heart of a true ninja

Mikoto was aware that her actions back there had been reckless and that it could have gotten both her and Shikadai killed. 

But at that moment,she had just lashed out. She felt like nothing else mattered but him,and she was happy that she went to his rescue. But in the end... 

He became her rescue. 

"You almost got yourself killed." Kawaki said to her as they walked through the woods,trying to find something edible. 

"Yea,well,I didn't die." 

"You were lucky this time."

"Oh,was I?" 

"Yes you were! You could've been killed back there!"

"I wasn't,Kawaki!" Mikoto shouted,turning around to face his grey eyes. "I went to save my best friend! And he was in chains and in pain,I needed to save him!" 

"Are you sure he's just your best friend?" Kawaki said dryly and walked right past her,his shoulder bumping into hers cockily. 

Mikot breathed out and rubbed her forehead. For a while now,she and Kawaki had a thing going on. She knew that and he did,too. They were both aware of it,and she liked him. She really did. She felt like Kawaki was a good guy at the end,and her being with him changed him. 

She knew that. She could even go as far as saying that she loved him somehow. 

"Kawaki-"

"Mikoto,look me in the eyes and tell me you don't feel anything for him!" He said angrily,looking her in the eyes as he turned around. He got closer and closer and Mikoto shook her head. 

"Kawaki,he's my best friend-"

"Do you have feelings for him,Mikoto?" Mikoto was quiet. She couldn't possibly say anything to hurt his feelings. She refused to... 

But that was enough for Kawaki. Cause he understood her silence quite perfectly.  

"Kawaki-"

"I noticed it in your face today." he said calmly,looking down at the ground. "I saw how your expression changed once you heard he was in pain. I saw the worry in your eyes and you ran despite the fact that you could've been killed. Meaning you'd give your life for him."

"I'd give my life for my comrades-"

"This isn't about the team." he said,but it sounded more like a question. "It's about you loving him." 

And how could she not? Shikadai was her best friend,and she knew it wasn't just that they were best friends that made her love him. It's the fact that he's always there for her,the fact that he always pays attention to her..and at the end of the day,he's always the hero. 

Like today. 

"Yes,I love him." she said quietly and sadly. "But I love you,too."

"Mikoto-"

"Why would I still be with you? Why would I even dare to hold your hand and lock eyes with you if I don't feel anything for you? Kawaki,I love you,despite the fact that I love him as well. And how could I not? He's been there for me for as long as I can remember. Of course I love him!"

Shikadai's POV;

Waking up in the village was probably the weirdest thing ever.. Meeting kind people was just as weird.

For two months,Shikadai has been in hell. He felt like that place suffocated him everyday and every day his thinking got worse and worse. It was almost as if he couldn't start up his brain to think,couldn't figure out a single strategy.