Love from a distance

Returning from their mission,Mikoto had taken distance from Shikadai. He had no idea why,but all he really knew was that..Mikoto had gotten closer to Kawaki for some odd reason. But he didn't know in what way. 

It was almost like she was watching Shikadai from a far distance. 

Is she possibly in love with him? Is it too late to confess to her? Is it possibly too late for him to be with her? To tell her that Kawaki isn't the one? To tell her that no matter who she chose,he would always faithfully be in love with her...?

"You look tired." Inojin said to him.. And it's true. Ever since they returned,which was yesterday,Shikadai couldn't possibly find himself to fall asleep. Cause all he could think about was Mikoto. 

"Yea,I..I couldn't sleep."

"Is it Mikoto?" 

"What?" 

"I heard she got in trouble with the new guy?" Oh,that... For a moment,Shikadai feared even Inojin would be able to see through Shikadai and what he felt for her. 

"Oh,yea.. The two of them never really get along. But I guess both are changing." 

"Right..."

And yet,Shikadai didn't want them to change at all. 

Suddenly Kawaki got close to them. For some reason,ever since he started talking to Mikoto... Shikadai started to dislike this guy really much. 

"Oh by the way,I figured you'd want to know that the old class rep likes you,Sumire." Sumire... Sumire... If only it was Mikoto. 

"Is that so." Shikadai said,completely uninterested. He didn't care about Sumire. He didn't really care... He didn't want to care,and he didn't. 

"Sumire Kakehi?" Another voice entered the conversation as Kawaki stood in front of them. Mikoto was suddenly behind Inojin,surprising them all. 

"Sumire likes Shika?" Mikoto asked,using Shikadai's nickname. She looked at Shikadai and back at Inojin. 

"Yea,I promised her that Shikadai would go on a date with her." Inojin said,which made Shikadai jump. 

"You did WHAT?!" 

"I said you'd go on a date with Sumire."  Shikadai looked at Mikoto who seemed to be looking at Kawaki curiously,then she looked down at Shikadai with those blue illuminating eyes. 

"Why not?" Mikoto said. "Sumire is really cute,after all." But you're the one I want,Shikadai thought looking at her. 

Didn't she understand? He wanted her and no one else.. If she got in trouble,he would always be there. If she got hurt,he would hurt that person back! If something happened to her...he'd lose his mind if someone hurt her. 

He understood that now. He understood that on the mission,cause he felt the jealousy when she talked to Kawaki. 

But she looked happy,and maybe she wanted him to date Sumire.. Maybe Mikoto knew that Shikadai liked her and wanted him to...stop?

"You have to."  Inojin suddenly said,which made Shikadai glare at him. "If you don't,she'll have a bad confidence,right?"

"What does it matter?" Kawaki said,smirking as he did. "He doesn't care,after all."

"It does matter,Kawaki." Mikoto snapped. "Of course it matters... But this is Shikadai's choice. Not ours." 

Mikoto's POV;

Deep inside she knew she didn't want Shikadai to go on a date with Sumire. But why? Shouldn't she be happy that he has someone? Maybe he'll take a liking to her and they'll be happy... 

But Mikoto felt a pain in her heart just thinking about it. For some reason,the thought of Sumire and Shikadai just got to her. It made her jealous,sad and even irritated. 

"You're losing focus." Sakura said. "Keep your thoughts away from the field if you really want the byakogou." 

Mikoto stopped and looked at Sakura. She didn't what to do or say,she just wanted to stand there and think. Honestly,she just wanted to be alone. 

She just didn't understand why this had such a big affect on her.. And Shikadai even agreed to go on a date. But she couldn't make out if it was out of pity or just  because he actually wanted to. He was as careless as he always tends to be. 

"Mikoto,what's wrong?"

"Why can't he see that I want him?"  Mikoto heard Sakura getting closer and closer with every step,and as she looked up,she saw Sakura smiling kindly at her. 

She gestured at a big fallen tree. Mikoto and Sakura walked to the tree and sat on it,the sun shining and the wind blowing mildly. 

"I was in love with your father once." Sakura suddenly said,which came a bit as a surprise. Sakura Namikaze..in love with Sasuke? Mikoto looked at Sakura,a bit shocked. 

"For a long time,I always wanted him to see me before Narumi. But you know what?"

Mikoto shrugged. 

"I found Izuka." she smiled. "During the days where I could never stop thinking about Sasuke,I suddenly found someone who would only protect me and be with me. He would sacrifice anything to protect me,even if it cost me being sad."

"But how is that love?"

"Cause he was never selfish,Mikoto." Sakura said. "He never told me he loved me and I never really told him,but we always seemed to find the same path,and at the end of the path,we found each other." Mikoto thought about it a little..

Shikadai always protected her... But in what way?

"Your mother and father were the same. They sacrificed anything and everything for each other,always pushed each other away for the sake of each other. Well,at least your father did.. But your mother kept fighting for that one spot in his heart."

"Why didn't you?"

"Because Sasuke didn't want me to." she said. "He wanted Narumi to fight for him,because he already loved her and he needed her. And I did the same with Izuka."

"But how did you know that he wanted you to?"

"Because he always came back at one point... And I always felt us getting closer." 

She remembered Shikadai and her hating each other in the beginning. They weren't particularly getting along,but they were always there.. And during the years,they got closer and closer. They still had their differences,for sure..But they were always best friends. 

Always there for each other. 

All so suddenly,something seemed to explode right where they sat. 

And everything went black.