Eighteen

Lilly Jennings

          Beth is dead

Beth is dead. Right when you thought you found someone life hits you and you lose them right before you find them. I hold Carl's hand the whole time I don't want to let go incase I lose him. Noah wants to go find his family in his community. Rick, Noah, Tyreese, Glenn and Michonne all went to check out Noah's community. They did and Tyreese died. He got bit and they couldn't save him. Making me hold on tighter to Carl. The car we found died so we had to walk on foot.

I hold on to Carl's hand. Thankfully he doesn't mind he just keeps asking me if I'm okay. I just smile at him and nod. But he knows I'm not. We are trying to find water but all the streams are dried out. And there not much food around. My ankle has finally gotten better. I see Carl walk up to Maggie and hand her something.

"Found this while we were looking for water" he says

"What is it" Maggie ask

"I think it used to play music. It's broken"

"Thanks Carl"

"Thought you might like it"

He waits for me and grabs my hand when I catch up to him.

"That was nice" I say

"I know" he says and smiles "I was trying to be nice"

I let out a little smile and lean into him. Our hands are sweaty because it's hot but we don't let go. I think we are both to scared of losing each other. We walk for a while and the walkers that are behind us and catching up on us. Me Carl Judith Gabriel Tara Rosita Eugene and Noah all stayed farther up while the others deal with the walkers. No using knifes or guns letting them fall off the edge right before the Bridge. Then Sasha starts killing them. So the others join and try and stop her at the same time. They kill all of them and we keep on walking.

"Lilly" Carl says

"Yeah"

"Why don't you have much hope anymore for this world"

"Hope is for suckers"

He sighs. We get to where there is a couple cars and we look through them. Non of them would start and there was nothing but alcohol. We finally rest. Carl is sitting with Judith in his arms and his back against his dad's. I sit in front of Carl. Then 3 dogs come out of the woods. Sasha shoots them. And we might as well not let good meat go to waste. I don't even care that I'm eating a dog. I'm so hungry. Noah won't eat though. I lean against Carl and slowly chew the meat.

After resting for awhile we get back in the road again. Everyone slowly walking. Everyone is so tired. I let out a yawn. Then Carl does. We let out a small laugh. We find water in the middle of the road. Clean water. With a sign saying 'from a friend' no one thinks it isn't. Eugene goes to take a sip but Abraham knocks it out of his hands. Then it starts raining. We all open our mouths and fill up our water bottles. The. It starts down pouring. Judith who is in Carl's arms starts crying because of the thunder. He puts his hat on top of her head. Daryl says he found a barn and we all go there.

Once the place is cleared we build a fire and rest for the night. Carl's arm is around me and Judith. We are laying in the floor. Carl is asleep so is Judith but I am having trouble. Rick looks back at us.

"They're gonna be okay" Carol says "they once back more than any of us do"

"I used to feel sorry for kids who have to grow up now. In this" Rick says "but I think I got it wrong. Growing up is getting used to the world. This is easier for them"

"This isn't the world" Michonne says "this isn't it"

"It might be. It might" Glenn says

"That's giving up"

"Its reality"

"Until we see otherwise this is what we have to live with" Rick invades "when I was a kid, I asked my grandpa if he ever killed any Germans in the war. He wouldn't answer. He said that was grown up stuff so, so I asked if any Germans tried to kill him. But he got real quiet. He said he was dead the minute he stepped into enemy territory. Every day he woke up and told himself 'Rest in Piece, now get up go to war' and then after a few years of pretending he was dead, he made it out alive. That's the trick of it I think. We do what we need to do and then we get to live. But no matter what we find in DC, I know we will be okay. Because this is how we survive. We elk ourselves, that we are The Walking Dead"

Everyone I quite for a little bit till Daryl speaks up.

"We ain't them"

He then goes back to working in the fire. Trying to get it going more.

"We're not them. Hey. We're not" Rick says to Daryl.

Daryl The gets up and walks somewhere. I had fallen asleep for a little bit then I hear a bunch of walker groans and Carl unwrapping his arms from me and people pushing against the door. Carl sets Judith down and she cries. We join the rest of our group and push against the door.

I don't remember much after that. I wake up and I'm back in Carl's arms. I roll over so I can face him. His hair is in his eyes so I move it out if the way and he wakes up.

"Sorry" I whisper

"It's alright" he says

          He pulls me closer into his arms. I put my face in his chest. He plays with my hair and ask

"What did you mean that hope is for suckers"

"I've had hope for the prison then Terminus and those have gone to shit so hope is for suckers. If you have hope for something it will just be taken right out from under you"

"Maybe or maybe that wasn't the place for us and we all find something don't give up on hope just yet Lilly"

"I'll try"

         He kisses my forehead and I cuddle back into him.
------------------------------------------------------