Fortysix

Lilly Jennings

Nothing seems real anymore

Nothing seems real anymore. It feels like i'm in a dream, no a nightmare and i'm going to wake up any minute to see Carl next to me asleep and perfectly fine. But i'm not having a nightmare. This is real. I am losing him and I can't stop it from happening. It was just this afternoon we were playing with Judith. Why didn't I notice how weird he was acting.

We did hand prints on the porch. Took pictures. Just hung out with Judith. He wanted to spend his last day with her. I feel so stupid for not realizing he was being so different. Locking the bathroom. He never does that when he showers. Wanting to be alone in is room for something. I still want to know why. This feels like a never ending nightmare.

We helped Siddiq today. Played with Judith. It doesn't seem real. We planted a tree. Nothing seems real anymore. I wish that this is all just a dream, but I know it's not.

Rick and Michonne both don't know what to say. They are just looking at the boy sitting there dying. The boy the protected all these years. The saviors are still destroying Alexandria. We hear the explosions.

"Dad... it's all right. It's gotta be." I hear Carl tell his dad and Michonne. I wasn't sure if you'd make it back before... But just in case, you know. I wanted to make sure I was able to say goodbye." He pulls out letters. That what he was doing in our room alone. In case he wasn't able to say goodbye.

"No. It's them. It's them. They-they don't... It wasn't." Rick tried to say. "No. No."

"I got bit. Me and Lilly where bring someone back. His name's Siddiq. We saw him at that gas station, before... It wasn't the Saviors. It just happened. I got bit."

Rick moves him carefully to the cot beside him where Siddiq is. Moving him carefully, like he could break any moment. I had a blanket ready to lay over him once Rick laid him down.

"Is that better?" Michonne ask.

"Yeah... Thanks." Carl answers.

Michonne brushes his sweaty hair off his forehead. I sit by his head and rest my hand on his shoulder. just to let him know I'm here.

"I, um, I got these." Siddiq starts. "They're over-the-counter, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. They'll um, They'll help a little with the fever. They did for my mom and dad. Please take them. Your son... he should have them.

Rick takes them from him and ask, "You're a doctor?"

"I was a resident... before. Yeah."

"Your name is Siddiq?"

"Yes."

"Did you know he was a doctor?" Rick ask Carl. "Is that why you brought him back?"

"He wasn't gonna make it alone. He needed us. That's why." Carl tells his father.